Re: Terms for age restrictions

Carol231
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Re: Terms for age restrictions

Hi I have on my listing I don't accept guests under 21 years of age.  I have a book request and the guest hasn't got any reviews yet and in her photo she looks quite young.  I emailed her and she told me she is 26 but can I ask her to provide me a photo id with proof of age.  In the past I have hosted guests under 21 years old and had damage to my property so I have now had to put this restriction on.

3 Replies 3
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Carol231,

You may very well ask your guests to show or give you a copy of their national ID. Just make sure you place that piece of information on your house rules. If a guest refuses to do so, Airbnb will make them do it if it is well informed in your profile.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Are you allowed to age discriminate in Australia? If not, it doesn't make a fig of difference what 'rules' you add to your listing, it's a matter of sucking it up. Likewise, if the guest complains, you'll be shunted off Airbnb.

However, if discrimination is allowed, that's a different matter.  

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Carol231  Unless your HOA, insurance or resort have bylaws or restrictions that state no one under 21 years old can rent you can not limit the age. Your listing can be pulled for discrimination. 

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not:
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.
  • Airbnb hosts may:
    • Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants.
    • Note in their listing applicable community restrictions (e.g. senior housing) that prohibit guests under a particular age or families with children or infants.