Racist Guests

Racist Guests

Just happened today: 

My first 4* overall rating (out of 66/5*), guest is pointing out in his review that my place is in

Jewish/Caribbean Brooklyn neighbourhood.

All other than bad location review, is 5* (over all: 4*)

AND I got "compliment" for everything but "lokal tips" :-0

Because they are Jewish and Jamaican Restaurants, Eateries and Bakeries?????

...I immediately reported to Airbnb! Lets see what happents...

44 Replies 44
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Giedre-and-Andre0 Unless there is more to the story that happened in person, you reporting this guest for being racist seems like you're just upset about your first 4-star review and looking for revenge. It took me 70-plus reviews before I got my first 4-star also and it was upsetting, but it's one less than perfect review out of many good ones. Your responses for guests are for your future guests, not to "warn hosts" about a guest whose review read fine. I'd say get over it and move on...

The fact that you also gave them an absolutely glowing review, then in your response tore them to shreds for being bad guests, suggests that your accusation is just based on anger over the review they gave you - which wasn't even bad. Or, you're not reviewing guests accurately. Either way, not a good look. 

I'm totally getting your point... 

Im a host who is "Cross-Reading" guest reviews.

And I'm thankful if a host is replying on a bad review.

I rejected a request where a guest got outstanding

reviews but gave all 3 past stays (all of them 5* Airbnb's) really bed comments.

I than try to read more reviews if other guests also had similar issues.

Everyone else seemed totally happy. Why I want a guest like this, Im not a hotel.

In my reply to my last guest, I'm not flipping on my review, I just want to let others know

asy that he is not eto please.

I'm absolutely in favour of the theory, if

10 out of 50 people mention that your place is dusty, CLEAN UP!

If 1 out of 50 is complaining about accuracy of your description, THAN ITS PROBABLY THE GUEST...

I would have swallowed down a negative location if they mentioned a safety issue or something other "location relevant".  But giving everything else 5* included value and accuracy, and than pointing out (almost as a warning) that neighbourhood is Jewish/Jamaican and giving a 4 for "overall" seems off to me...

BTW they payed $68/night in Brooklyn

Fully private

10 min. walk to subway / 20 min to Downtown Manhattan

I picked them up from (wrong) train station at arrival 9pm

They checked out at 6pm (should be 11am) ALL SMILE

I almost never take the time to read the reviews guests have left for other hosts unless I notice a red flag. Your response still seems massively disproportionate. You still don't explain why you gave them such a good review if they weren't good guests. If they checked out late, complained, were high maintenance, etc. why isn't that in your review? That is all most other hosts will ever see unless they go digging. If you wanted to help other hosts avoid them, why not start there? 

My review to them, was on the given time and point 100% accurate,

not knowing they have a problem with a black/Jewish neighbourhood.

They are clean, respectful, friendly (to us) and left my space in perfect condition...

Based on the review they left its just obvious that they hard to please and probably

would have had a better time in Sweden or Norway than in Brooklyn,NY 😉

I agree with everyone else, I think they are simply describing your neighborhood.

Guests are told by Airbnb that 4 stars = Good.

Good is not 'bad' it is not a negative except in Airbnb-speak.

Many guests do not know that 5= pass and anything lower is treated as a degree of failure—the host penalized.  This is where the system fails completely, it pits host against guest.

@Ange2 copy from below:

reg. "... I think they are simply describing your neighborhood..."

I like to see this simple:

If you go out for Dinner to a 5* rated
(not in average 5* ALL guests left a 5*)
steakhouse and you write a review:

- The menu had Beef and Pork
- The company was excellent
- Everything was Sparkling clean
- Restaurant Outstanding hospitality
Thoughtful touches
Quick responses from our server
Stylish space
- Great Value
- Great Check in
- We had great communication
- The place was Exact as advertised
FAZIT: I don't like the food. And overall I don't like the restaurant.

There is nothing objective wrong to find in a specific line of this review.
Most likely the guest is just a VEGETARIAN who DON'T LIKE MEET ;-))))))

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. They gave you four stars, not one. If your response to a less than perfect review is trying to have a guest removed from the platform, I'd hate to see what happens if something bad actually happens to you as a host: one can only imagine the fit that would be pitched. 

@Giedre-and-Andre0    I think it would be better to direct your ire toward Airbnb's rating system instead of the guest.  See this post: re Considerations for SuperHost Criteria:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Feedback-on-Superhost-criteria/m-p/854762#M8374

I agree...

The crazy and in many cases unfair review policy is NOT a guests mistake.

A 4* overall can be a "OK" for a guest...

For a host it sounds like "you should go out of business"

(remember a 4.7 is as of Airbnb a minimum standard)

Here FYI the case I rejected earlier 2018 (I really would like to know what you think)

HIS profile reviews are outstanding:

Here his (given) reviews from past Airbnb experiences:

P's Reviews:

Paris, CENTER OF PARIS, LISTED FOR $50 A NIGHT

"...One of the most affordable airbnb in a great location but with minimal amenities provided that makes the stay not so great. Yes the location is great in the heart of Montmartre (beware of the stairs in the streets if you are not too sporty) but the bed is small and we really slept poorly..."

Williamsburg NY(5 Star rated): (BATH TOO SMALL, NOISE (IN BROOKLYN), NOT CHARMING ENOUGH???? REALY??????? EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE IT, BUT HIM)
"...we didn't like the place. Dated and small bathroom. Hard to sleep. We felt it was disappointing for the price and not charming as we expected..."

Tulum, Mexico: (the  bit rusty bikes are FREE BIKES to use) ALL 5*
"...bikes are a bit rusty and worn-out but useful to do the 15-20 min rides to the beaches or other points of interest around. We have spent 8 days there and I wouldn't say it is extremely comfortable but ok..."

Bluff, Utah: (GREAT REVIEWS FROM ALL OTHER GUESTS)
"...but I would not say it is pleasant enough to stay at the house more than during the nights. My mistake but I didn't notice there was no internet connection and my T-mobile phone was out of network so difficult to plan the road for the next day or find a place to have breakfast or dinner..."

Māhina, French Polynesia:
"...A deco "surf" that will not please everyone..."

HERE HIS REPLY TO ME:

Of all my reviews, I gave 3 x five stars, 12 x 4 stars, 3 x three stars, 1 x two stars and

1 x one star.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Nothing in that say racist. And assuming location rating translates into a  racisms- that is absurd. Labelling guest and reporting as such needs to be reassessed asap.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

If the description of the ethnic make up of the neighborhood given by the guest is accurate, I'm now sure how that is racist, or how you can be sure that it is the ethnicity that is what caused the 4 star review. 

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Your reply is not favorable to you at all.  The review seems fine (if I am reading the French correctly.)  Are there Jewish and Jamaican communities in your area?  The guest didn't say that was a bad thing so your assumption that their comment is negative makes it look like 'the lady doth protest too much.'  Remember that your reply lets future guests know what you are like.  A better reply would have been "It is so GREAT that the guests were able to enjoy and commented on the ethnic diversity of our area.  We love it too!"