Property Management Business

Property Management Business

Hi, 

I am a Property Manager and do this with long term contracts at the moment, however I would like to expand the business and start managing short term rentals as well through AirBnB.

Is there already anyone doing this? If so, how do you manage the listings?

My understanding, doing this as a normal letting agent and property manager, is to advertise a property through portals etc with my own name. When a tenant is found a new contract is signed and management starts.

We collect initial moneys etc from the tenant, take our commission and give the landlord the difference. In the entire process the client is never involved if not collecting the final cheque.

Would this be doable with AirBnB? 

So, in simple terms, I would upload and create as many as listings as I manage, all under my name. I am the host and have all dealings with financials and guests. Then, I report back to the landlord/owner and take my chunk etc.

Many thanks for your great help!!

1 Reply 1
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

This interests me because I manage tons of regular rentals and I just odn't see how you could possibly make money doing this with Airbnb.  I"m blunt--excuse me--I don't know how to be polite while I ramble out loud.

I don't see the numbers working out- either renting out rooms in a house or a whole house--you would have to have a cleaner plus your time is worth something...it is NOT EASY doing this and managing multiple Airbnb listings/rooms/homes because the work is so much more.  With a normal rental, yes..I spend oodles of time in the begining when I find a new tenant but month to month I collect the $$, deposit it and the owner pays me my cut...literally no work involved once I rent it out unless I have to evict them.  With Airbnb...way too many wheels are in motion EVERY DAY for EVERY check in and out.  You can pay the cleaner the cleaning fee and put it on the guest as a cleaning fee...then what is your time worth 10% of $50 for every guest booking (as an example) but imagine how much time you spend on one booking..at $5 you'd have to have ten or so a day just to make it worth your hastle..and it's round the clock every day every day of the year.  What if the cleaner you have doesn't show up?  What is there is an emergency in the middle of the night--with regular rents the odds are less of things going wrong, in my opinion.

Just what goes on in my head.  My husband thinks it would be AWESOME if I managed Airbnb's for others but I just don't see the return being worth the work at all.