Problem with price per person. - not reflecting the nightly rate.

Jillie0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Problem with price per person. - not reflecting the nightly rate.

I just realised that there is a problem with the price quoted for additional guests.   I have set the price in the calendar at a higher rate for Friday and Saturday nights than for the rest of the week.    I realised that the price quoted for a group of 11 didn't match the price shown in the calendar.    When I delved a little deeper I realised that the price shown in the calendar only applies to the first person in the group,   the price for everyone else is the discounted base price that applies for the rest of the week.

Very confusing for hosts and guests. 

Has anyone found a way of senting the price per person relative to the day of the week?

4 Replies 4

That's not how the pricing works. The "Default Nightly Price" is the price for one person.  You need to use the "extra person fee" to reflect whatever price you are expecting per person.  The listing price is the price of the rental space.  Please read more in the help center to make sure you know how Airbnb works.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/search?search_from=autosuggest&q=how%20to%20set%20prices

http://blog.airbnb.com/using-data-to-help-set-your-price/

I do use the default price per person,  and have set the price for additional people  but I also use the weekend price to increase the price at weekends.   Airbnb isn't applying the weekend rate to weekend bookings.   Its only using the weekend price for the first person in the group,   for the rest its applying the mid week base price.    

I can't use the option of one price for the base booking for the minimum group size and the charge extra for additional people because Airbnb's system sets a limit on group sizes of 15.   While the base price for my property is the price for a group of 20 people with the option of booking groups up to a maximum of 32.

So I took advice from the Airbnb on the best way of setting up the price details.   Which is why the property is priced per person,  with it set out clearly in the description that guests should ask me for a special offer based on the size of the group.    Unfortunately even when they do that if its for a weekend the price they are being shown is incorrect.   So I spend a lot of time having to apologise and explain all the problems with Airbnb's systems.   

It would be nice if they just increased the maximum group size from 15.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jillie0  I am confused by your confusion, LOL!  After looking at your listing I see that you have a $23 US rate for Sunday through Thursday and $28 US for Friday and Saturday.  Air BNB averages the rate per day if the booking extends over different daily rates.  Add in your extra fee per guest over 1 person the average rate quoted on the reservation confirmation combines all these factors.  Soooo, after all your reservations what is your confusion?  What do you think would be better understood?  Sorry if I have misunderstood what confuses you.

Jillie0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Lets take a recent example.  A group of 11 people want to book friday night and saturday night.

The price set for weekend rates is £22.  The base price which is the price set for mid week is £19.

For 11 people friday night and saturday night the price should be calculated by Airbnb as 11 x 2 nights  x £22 (the weekend price)

Instead Airbnb is calculating it as 1 x 2 x £22,  and 10 x 2 x £19.