Price adjustments and breakdowns, plus random stuff

Tylor2
Level 3
Surprise, AZ

Price adjustments and breakdowns, plus random stuff

Sorry for being short but in true Airbnb fashion the app didn’t work properly, typed my entire post and tried to add a photo. Only way to back up after the photo is added deletes the entire post. 

The issue I have is when I go to do an adjustment for a stay or a price on a rental I never get a clear breakdown of what is being charged. I only use my phone or iPad for this so I don’t know if the issue runs just on the mobile app. Today I had a guest request to extend their trip by one day, I agreed and went to do a reservation adjustment. I selected the dates and it then took me back and said that the additional to be charged would be like $82 or something like that, makes sense since the house is only $75 a night and I assume the rest was the additional service fee to Airbnb. I say assume because it doesn’t actually tell me this so I select the price to see if it will give me a breakdown, it doesn’t so I back out of it and the price jumps to an additional $60. This is the cleaning fee amount so it’s adding that in now too. After going in and manually adjusting that out. It then says the additional charge will be $77.69, this sounds more reasonable than what I was seeing before. However, the next page says of that I will only receive $61.xx of that. I’d like to know where that extra money is going since the service fee originally for an entire week was only $12. We need to know what will be calculated after we enter a price, what price should we be entering, a full breakdown when everything is enter of what goes to us and to Airbnb, and if the service fee is higher then why. 

Tylor Pate
5 Replies 5
Martin0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi, 

Why bother with trying to do it through Airbnb? Why not just agree to take cash and discount it to save the guest the Airbnb fee? Who is the loser then? Why Airbnb, of course, for being so inefficient? And who are the winners? Why, you and your guest, which is at it should be. It has worked for me on a number of occasions and earned so much goodwill as well as income. Good luck!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tylor2 please do not listen to this advice of @Martin0 as it has the potential to get you forever blocked/removed by ABB. Transacting cash off the platform is the kiss of death to a host.

And yes, you're right, ABB needs to show hosts true guest costs. We sound ridiculous when we only have partial information

Lynette54
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I had the same problem trying to adjust a booking to add on additional days, the pricing was not transparent and I couldn't find a way to force the app to show me a breakdown of how Airbnb calculated the price and fee structure, so I could see what the guest would pay, and what I would be paid.

Tylor2
Level 3
Surprise, AZ

@Kelly149

I’m fully aware of the rules and would never do that. Though I think the system is flawed I can see one guest saying something and not only would ABB refund them everything out of my pocket but they’d blackball me after that.

They make it extremely difficult for hosts to be transparent and not sound ridiculous when we interact with guest in these occasions. I wish someone would just call and say “can you please pay out a good app for us”. I find it very difficult to understand why a company based out of one of the most technical cities in the US can’t find a developer that can make an app that is easy to use. They need to steal the person who did Wayfair or Fitbit, those apps are the most user friendly things I have ever used. I also can not find a link to bring me straight to updates for my posts in community center. I have to search for my old posts, and go to my profile from there. Even their resources to help us be resourceful are awful.

Tylor Pate
Tylor2
Level 3
Surprise, AZ

Here we are again, I had this issue yet again.

i had a guest coming from Canada and they sent me an inquiry so I approved it from 6 nights. They asked to shorten it to 4 nights and they had not yet accepted so I went in and adjusted a special offer to do four nights but kept the price the same. All math checked out on my side saying it was going from like $6xx.xx to $502.22.

she then messages me back saying it went up like $200 CAD so about $120 USD. I explained the issue and we got everything worked out but this is really an issue. In no way did it show me anything was going up or what needed to be entered. I did not adjust prices at all I just changed dates. My nightly rate not the cleaning fee total this amount so I do not know why this is so hard for ABB to fix.

This sort of thing mixed with the harassment of hosts when damage is done to a home is what has prompted a lot of my clients to reconsider using this service. 

Tylor Pate