Pets - To have or not to have

Mia27
Level 2
Littleton, CO

Pets - To have or not to have

My house is pet friendly, but I'm getting discouraged of having it as it.

I've encountered pet owners who just want to bring their pets for free as there is no pet fee applicable.

I decided to charge a non refundable fee for cleaning or $25 a day and I let guests know after the initial inquiry.

But, in the last two days I have two guests who wanted to bring 2 dogs each, lab, australian shepard, cattle dog, the big shedding kind and both were surprised and finally didn't book due to pet charges.

I'm thinking that unless there is a pet fee added to the booking system I better remove the pet friendly option as most guests believe it's a free booking for them and don't book once they learn of pet charges, eventhough my listing says that I charge per pet.

6 Replies 6
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Mia27,

I have two black labs but I am very strct about not allowing pets as it just takes one time for their pet to have an accident and I would feel the place would be ruined for future guests.  I also worry about allergies of future guests and this way if anyone complains about it smelling of pets or dog hair, I know 100% that our suite has never had any animals in it.

These are just my thoughts but I am sure others will weigh in.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Agree on what you say.

I explained to the last lady that has a group of 7 + their 2 / 50lb dogs that although their dogs might be well trained, friendly, etc they shed and I will have to be cleaning for days the pet hair. Maybe I just take small pets, or non. Last week I had a client from the other site that basically didn't pay the original fee on the form and told me they didn't bring their maltese on that trip. Not way for me to know as I can't ambush guests once in. The second guest inquiry had lab/mix australian shepard and didn't include pet fee in the quote so he wouldn't be charged, he didn't book once I sent the correct invoice with pet charges.

So, maybe I should just remove the pet friendly option, no point if people don't want to pay for them.

It might be worth investing in a doorbell camera such as the Ring camera.

https://ring.com/

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

My guests usually enter through the garage with a code, so I don't know if the ring camera would work.

I removed the pet friendly feature from my listings, I may consider reinstate it if ABB adds a pet fee box to booking.

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I allow dogs with prior approval before a guest books the apartment. Once booked, I send the $25 pet fee through the resolution center so it can be accepted and paid by the guest prior to check in. I've hosted several guests with dogs and haven't had any trouble with them. There didn't even seem to be any extra cleaning needed after the dogs were in the apartment. 

Ali

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mia27.... @Dave-and-Deb0.......Yeah pets, the problem is where do you draw the line! We have an Aussie Shepherd and she is the loveliest dog. Many of our reviews give glowing statements about the dog but, nevertheless nobody thinks of our dog as we do....and guests feel the same about their 'trusted friend'. I have seen them all, from massive quadrapeds who rampage their way through my beloved rear garden leaving that fertiliser trail as they trample the blooms to mulch.....or that 'thing' that is not so much a dog as a bladder with four legs!!!!!

I am still 'pet friendly' but by god, not by much! If the next guest that turns up with their ever lovin 'woofer' give me some grief I think I will have to look at changing the listing description!

I am now of the opinion you have to spell out precisely what you will take on as far as a pet is concerned. I am to the point where I will allow pets but, only if they travel in a cage!! Airlines do it, why can't I !!!

Cheers.....Rob