Penalised for Cancellation

Mairi1
Level 1
Portree, GB

Penalised for Cancellation

Hi, I had someone instant book my cottage, which is listed for 6 people, and they said there would be 5 adults plus 1 two year old.  They then said they may be joined by 2 further adults, could I confirm there would be no extra charge.  I immediately contacted them and advised, as per listing, the property was suitable for 6 people, not 8.  The lady then asked me to cancel the booking as she hadn't realised I had instant booking.  I advised residents that she would have to cancel, not me.  When I confirmed her request to cancel, I received a message from Airbnb telling me I would be penalised for cancelling a booking.  The customer cancelled the booking, I just agreed.  Feeling upset by this as thus us no fault of mine! Any suggestions as to how I get Airbnb to realise this was. Or my call?

1 Reply 1
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mairi1

Lots of people get caught out by this - it treats it as your cancellation even though the guest initiated it. Contact AirBnB and  tell them you don't particularly like being tricked in this way. Ask them to reverse the penalties you will receive.

Good luck