Paying for notifications!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Paying for notifications!

The distraction of the deletion of sms notification is still posing real problems for a large section of the hosting community. With sms notifications being virtually a thing of the past, I have a proposal to put to the community.

On our profile section for notifications could we canvas Airbnb to give us the option of either receiving or not receiving cellular messaging……. and those who tick the ‘receive’ box receive a statement that they would have the cost of sms messaging deducted from their payout amount. Surely this would be an attractive proposition for Airbnb because the infra-structure is already in place, and they would now have the cost of it covered….which is no doubt why they are moving to discontinue it. They could put a cap on it for the first 10 txts per potential guest.  If, as hosts we can’t afford the maximum $2.50 or so involved for these all important cellular notifications then we should not be in the business!

And for those who don't want it, great, just continue with internet notification and don't get charged!

How do other hosts feel about this….cheers…..Rob

3 Replies 3
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Robin4 I'm getting text and Airbnb (through their app) notifications now so I'm happy with that. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi Robin

SMS is not "a thing of the past" but an issue that Airbnb seems to be having issues with some accounts. Don't give Airbnb more ways to make money off of us (wink). I know someone mentioned that Airbnb was doing away with SMS but I have been assured this is not the case and it just would not make sense.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

@Robin -
Since January I notice Airbnb has made an improvement to the text messages. Now my text messages have embedded link to email so when I get the text message, I can click on the link and I can immediately respond to inquiry or request. It's an excellent improvement.