October Webinar: Share your Hosting Tips for the Holidays

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

October Webinar: Share your Hosting Tips for the Holidays

Webinar screenshot - smiling

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, the Webinar Series was launched in February of this year and we have already covered a wide range of topics. This month, it will be on Hosts' Tips for the Holidays (I know what you are thinking...'where did 2016 go?').  

If you are a regular at reading my webinar topics here in the CC, you will know I usually open the floor (thread) to submit any questions for the Q&A part, but this month the Webinar Team have gone a step further...

For October's webinar, the community here will have some major airtime, as our tips and stories will be shared during the session. Which is very exciting! 🙂

To provide you with a little more information the specific areas they would like to cover are:

• How do you address fluctuations in "seasonal demand" in your market, what settings do you change?
  • How do you provide personalized hospitality for your guests even if you're not physically there?
  • What kinds of amenities or special touches do you provide guests that are unique to holidays?

Feel free to share stories, tips and more comments (even photos if you like) around these questions above, and we will feature some of them in the webinar! 

I can't wait to hear your comments. 🙂

Details for webinar:

Date and time: Wednesday Oct 26th, 10:00am PDT (1:00pm EDT / 6:00pm BST)

Register here: Hosts' Tips for the Holidays

*Webinar will be in English

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

11 Replies 11
Susan20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi

I became an Airbnb Host in late 2014.

As an Airbnb Super Host, I learned that people are interested in the first-person experience. As a result, I become the self-appointed “Airbnb Expert” to help Airbnb hosts and guests get the most from their Airbnb experience. Each day my social media showcases helpful host and guest tips, along with hand-selected Airbnb recommendations from around the world. I also feature a new blog each week, with the hopes of helping to enrich the Airbnb community.

Please visit my website at AirbnbExpert.com where you'll  find links to all of my social media and my blog postings.

While I can't respond to the first two bullets as I'm always full and support the hosted home, I can share that during hollidays I always provide guests with the same items family members enjoy. So at Christmas each guest gets a stocking, had dinner with us, gets a gift, etc.  One of our favorite things to do is buy everyone new pajamas (based on what we observe they wear normally) and everyone is given their new PJ's on Christmas Eve to change into and hangout together wearing. 

IMG_1534.JPG

Susan20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I also make a point of buying a lot of gift items at Christmas, because they are so plentiful and inexpensive. For instance, weary travelers love a little foot spa package the only costs $5. I often have guests that are with me for weeks, so a $5 item is certainly work the investment. Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 7.26.49 PM.png

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is wonderful @Susan20, I love that you make your guest feel like part of the family and have stockings. What has been their reaction when you have given this to them? The pyjamas present idea is great, it is like a new form of the Christmas jumper tradition. 🙂 

Anyone else? It would be great to hear your thoughts?

@Robin4@David126@Sandra126@Victoria57@Andrea9@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Helen3@Dave-and-Deb0@Karen-and-Brian0@Lawrene0@Marit-Anne0@Alice-and-Jeff0@Donna15@Annette33@Ange2@Bob43@Zandra0@Cynthia-and-Chris1@Momi0@Clare0@Dede0@Linda108@Sharon114@Andrew90@Jeet0

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Well, since you asked, @Lizzie!

Mine is a backcountry-camping treehouse. It has a woodstove, but is certainly more popular in warm weather than in cold. I keep the settings the same, however, winter and summer: one-night minimum, flexible cancellation, same price year round. It is a very low price and not something I can reasonably drop, given the same preparation - firewood, cleaning, breakfast, towels, soap - applies no matter what. It is not something I would raise for the holidays, either. It doesn't make sense here. This listing is unusual.

I am very like my guests since I am a backpacker, too, and unique holiday touches are not something we are looking for. I wouldn't decorate, for instance. It is mostly about the woods and the river here, and they are pretty enough. It is quiet and still, and very dark and starry at night. It makes itself unique. 

Maybe cinnamon buns with breakfast?

Thanks for asking. Looking forward to other replies.river.PNG

@Lizzie I own a condo I rent in a beach commmunity in DE and don't really get many if any bookings over the holidays. But thinking hard I am doing probably one of the best things I can do do hone my hosting skills and am going to escape to warmer climates myself and be GUEST!  Every time I travel I learn something new and find a best practice that helps me be a better host for the rest of the year. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for asking. I will share some of my habits which are definitely not tips, but just fit my acommodation and type of guest. I think every combination of host and acommodation is unique in its own way and should have unique "actions".

I rent out a private room in a large (at least according to local standards) apartment in the center of Amsterdam. The apartment is on the third and fourth floor which means I usually don't host elderly people or families. And since the bed is a queen, I would ususally get couples 25-45 years old. These couples will stay for 3 days on everage and come to Amsterdam to see the sights. Because the sites are there all year long (and therefor the tourists), I don't have to cope with fluctuations in demand really. If any, I will raise prices during the summer months.

Since I host from my own apartment, I will be always be there. It is quite difficult to provide personalized hospitality because the moment I am about to know my guests, they will be leaving :). However, I always take a thorough look at their profiles before their stay. Then I will look at the website that covers events in Amsterdam and try to make a match. I usually will send the link of this site to my guests and specifically make recommendations based upon their personal interests (if they have listed any in their profiles).

My apartment is kind of minimalistic. I truly believe that a lot of my guests pick my place because of the pictures which show this minimalistic style. So I make assumptions on the absence of my guests' interests in decorated homes :). I will put up a tree for Christmas, but that's really it. I can't think of anything else. Well, I'll put a paddling pool on my roofdeck when it is getting really hot :).

I hope this helps.

IMG_2527.JPG

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to see your replies @Bob43@Andrew90 and @Lawrene0, thanks for joining the discussion . 🙂

Andrew, I like to hear you enjoy traveling and get to experience being a guest, it a great way to learn how other hosts do certain things (as Bob mentions every host experience is unique). Do you normally stay with 'live in' hosts or does it depend? 

Aww Lawrene, your surroundings look magical in the snow, the picture postcard of the holiday period! It sounds very cosy with the fire and the possibility of cinnamon buns! yum 🙂

Really enjoyed reading about your 'habbits' Bob, they make a lot of sense and sounds like you put a lot of effort in to enable your guests to have a good time in your city. Your roofdesk is ideal, with its own compartment for what looks like a beer! That's the life! 🙂

Does anyone else have any other stories/tips for the holiday period?

--------------------

@Lizzie I'm usually traveling with my family so typically go with whole house rentals. I'm looking forward to staying with a live in host when my wife and I start to travel without the clan. I do enjoy the experience when hosts great me and ensures I settle in. I wish I could provide the same but I try to provide a personal touch even if it's remotely. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw that sounds nice @Andrew90. I'm sure you manage to provide a personal touch as you are a superhost. 🙂 Are there any particular things you try to do?

Lizzie

--------------------

I try to be responsive, document everything very well) overcomuniate, check in with them shortly after they check in (I get alerts when they actually enter) and then leave them alone to enjoy thier vacatation.  

I do do keep my condo well stocked with essentials, provide linens, 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Lizzie - Great topic! sorry for the delayed response. This will be our very first holiday season on Airbnb and this year we'll have all our family home for Christmas for the first time in several years (yay!!), so I only took 2 bookings in December. The first is a really special booking - a local family who want to celebrate an early Christmas together and wanted a place where they could cook a turkey with all the trimmings. None of their houses are large enough for all of them, and 1 member will be 9 months pregnant so not wanting to venture too far. So, our cabin will be the location for a very special family gathering! I'm going to put our little Christmas tree up for them - I have all woodland theme decorations, and I always go to the local Artisan Christmas Market & add new ornaments every year. I have a welcome gift basket that I leave for each group & try to anticipate their activities and what would be useful - in the summer, it was easy - I had sun screen and insect repellant etc. but winter is a little trickier. I'm thinking lip balm for X-country skiing & hot chocolate?? If they have dogs, I include a dog treat (organic, locally sourced), and if small children, a small bath toy or squeeze fruit treat etc. Cookies, candies. I'm open to suggestions! I don't spend a lot on it - just small sample sizes usually. I have left wine and chocolate for guests, but only on request because not everyone drinks wine.

The second booking is for a couple who are coming "home" for Christmas (they live in the US), but want to take a few days after Christmas to steal off together just the 2 of them, leaving the children with the grandparents. Wine & chocolate called for here, definitely!

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses! Karen