Occupancy tax not always being collected? (Tuolumne County, California)

John57
Level 1
Woodland, CA

Occupancy tax not always being collected? (Tuolumne County, California)

I'm confused by the automatic transient occupancy tax collection being done by AirBNB for Tuolumne County in California.  Can't seem to find a support contact email on the AirBNB site to ask.  We received a letter from AirBNB stating that starting May 1st 2016 they would start collecting the 10% TOT for the county.  In the gross collections report, they show zero collected for rentals in early May but did finally collect on one rental in late May.  So far in June they have collected zero on two rentals but did collect on a rental ending yesterday.  I was assuming that they would have collected for all rentals occuring from May 1st onward, but now I'm guessing maybe instead they meant that only for bookings confirmed and paid after May 1st?  That would explain the intermittent nature of collections so far.  We have our tax permit from the county for more than a year already and report and pay quarterly on our own.  The most current tax filing due by the end of July says to NOT report or pay anything already collected by AirBNB but it's difficult when their collections seem inconsistent.

0 Replies 0