Not recommending a guest

Heidi64
Level 1
Galveston, TX

Not recommending a guest

When reviewing guests it asks me to give a public description of my experience and also rank my guests by stars.  It asks if I would recommend the guest to other hosts.  Does anyone know how it affects the guest if I choose not to recommend the guest to other hosts?

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They may need to re list or use another person in their party to book.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Supposedly, a thumbs down would prevent a guest from being able to Instant Book with hosts who offer such a feature.  I would like to think after so many "thumbs down," Airbnb may ban their account - but there's nothing in their info to support that.

Like David said above - the guest could always create a new account or have their friend/family member book in the future if said repurcussions above are true.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Heidi64  While some travelers will figure out to set up a  new profile, I appreciate hosts who provide realistic reviews.

Laura1869
Level 2
Spokane, WA

I'm just wondering what to do about this.  Had a woman in nearby town (30 miles) book for one night "staycation" as her son's friend had a birthday (9).  She and son and friend were going to a movie, dinner, a trampoline place.  They checked in early and left to go to movie.  Awhile later she called from the theater asking me to come pick them up, she could pay me.  Why? They won't let me drive. Why? Cuz I've been drinking.  Where are the boys? Here. How about you call C's (other child) parents to come get you?  Yes.  (I called AirBNB for help, two helpers listened, didn't really provide advice, were going to contact her and call me back, never did.)  An hour later kids, she and her mom arrive to get their belongings.  Mom is lovely, says she is going to get ___ help (in treatment 5 times).  So, hopefully, that is that.  No harm done (except to the boys' psyches) and I'm keeping the money.  What do I do about reviewing her?  I would have liked to have known she was unreliable.  But alcoholism is a disease and you don't post things like, "X was unreliable due to her diabetes."  I have not been doing this long (2 months) and don't want to risk a bad review.  No review at all doesn't seem right.  I can't say, "Don't accept X until she completes alcoholism treatment."  Help, please?

No need to identify alcoholism.  Just state that the guest engaged in unrealiable behavior that required her and her young child to leave early.  Would you recommend her as a guest?  If not, then you give her a thumbs down review.   You experienced her drinking.   Her mother identified it as alcoholism but the diagnosis is not needed to identify that you would not recommend this guest.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Laura1869  You cannot say anything about the alcoholism in a review it will be removed. You state you would not host this guest again due to issues that arose during her stay and do not recommend her to other hosts. Simple and plain no emotion.  

Thanks, Letti!