Not child/pet friendly!

Catherine212
Level 10
West Horrington, United Kingdom

Not child/pet friendly!

My listing is a one bedroom log cabin. It is not child friendly (steep steps, too small etc) so I have my listing set as such. I also do not allow pets, as I have my own dog.

However, I have lost count of the number of bookings that I have received where the guests tell me "it will be me, my wife and our 6 year old son", or "my husband and I with our well behaved border collie"! Does anyone else have this problem?

I feel dreadful telling people they have to change their plans, but my filters are set correctly and I can only assume guests aren't using the search function correctly.

I deal with it by responding immediately, explains the rules and that we'd still love them to visit if they can arrange pet/child care. Some do, some don't.

So my questions are:

1) Do other people have the same problem, and if so how do you deal with it?

2) Would I lose my superhost status if I declined or cancelled a booking because the guest wants to bring a child or pet?

Any advice would be very welcome! Thanks.
9 Replies 9
Christine94
Level 2
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I always message the guest to check the makeup of their group, ie children and pets, before I pre approve the booking. I want to ensure both host and guests know what to expect. People don't seem to read all of the listing information.
That is why Instant Book does not suit me.
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

Yes, we certainly do have that problem! Get Airbnb when necessary to cancel. Never cancel yourself.
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I regularly decline bookings for people who are unsuitable for my property.

Do make sure the no kids/no pets features prominently in your description and house rules. Could you add a photo with children and pets with a cross through them to your listing?

Catherine, 

You want to make sure that you've checked the boxes that your property is not suitable for children.  It's not noted on your listing 

No smoking
Not suitable for pets
No parties or events
Check-in is after 2PM

if the boxes are checked you'd also see "not suitable for children (0-2)" and "not suitable for children (2-12).  When checked it shows up as: 

Not child-friendly (0-12 years)

@Alice-and-Jeff0, guests sometimes pay no attention to what you tick. They do this to me as well, but not too often. ''our toddler is looking forward to his holiday with us'' kind of thing. Errm, no.

I  get the same, more so since the new alogorithm went into play. I write to the guests and say there is a filter they can set to find listings that are child friendly or pet friendly and to please cancel the reservation thay made with me.  I also have it in house rules. I am thinking of making a graphic for my photo gallery with the same prohibition as a visual.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Declining is a tricky one. I hate to decline anything, because I slip down in the searches when I do. But rather more often than I want to I have to decline, and it is ALWAYS because they have read, but ignored my rules. Message will go like this:

''I know you say that xxxxxxxxx is not possible, but would you do it just for us, just this time? We really want to stay.''

Repeat ten times. I even say in my writing ''please don't ask me for  xxxxxx, as I don't want to decline your request.'' I change this wording regularly, trying to hit the right words but haven't yet.

Since I don't have IB, I don't have to cancel anyone and you must NEVER do that, definitely will be a penalty.

I just tell them in a message that I don't allow children.  It is an adults only treehouse.  I type that as many times as they ask.  I don't cancel their inquiry / request, I just let it time out.  Does no harm to them or me.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

But @Mike77, how can you do that when the clock is ticking? You have to decline/accept. If they only sent an enquiry all would be well, but they often send a booking request, certain that I will accept ''just this once because they really want to stay.''