No problem at all guests in house.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

No problem at all guests in house.

As we are reading about so many bad guests so often, here's an exact opposite story.

Right now I have a group of guests inhouse, they have come here for the 5th time in a row.

It's a couple in their early 60ies, her name is Lisa and his name is Sepp. They brought their 2 children with their partners. Also they brought a dog, Sunny by the name. For Sunny they brought 2 large blankets so that the dog would not ruin my couch.

I tried to upload a picture of this dog as a proof, but it doesn't work.

As a replacement here my most recent conversation with Sunny:

Sunny, say hello to all the airbnb hosts out there

Sunny: Woof

Sepp likes to have a glass of red wine now and then. Lisa has a cleaning addiction. It's not that she would complain that it's not clean enough in here, no, she herself is cleaning my place all of the time. She always runs around with a rag cleaning the table, the floor, all corners and what have You. (No joke!)

During the day they are enjoying the patio, the pool, the barbequecottage, reading books, playing games and having a good time. At 5pm they walk the dog, when they're done with it I usually come home and we sit together having a chat.

I heaven't heard about a single problem ever since they checked in.

Very different from these people was a group that I hosted last summer.

There were problems everywhere.

They complained about the stairs being too steep, matresses being too soft (no surprise if You weigh 300 lbs), toilet flush upstairs too loud, toilet flush downstriars not enough water pressure, a lightbulb on my candelabres not working (one out of 12), doors squeaking and the list goes on.

Now, how can it be, that one group of guests are having the holliday of their lifetime and another group has nothing but problems, as it is always the same house. Well, it's not the house, it's the people.

There are negative people out there who always complain about everything, but there also are people that aren't that negative but they are judging their place to stay based on the expectations they have. It doesn't matter if our listing description and our pictures clearly indicate, that their expectations can never be met, they still want the place to be they think it should be.

Obvouisly we cannot change people as they are as they are. But this would not be a problem, if there wasn't this airbnb rating system.

If we had a normal, standard, down to earth rating system ranging from 1* to 5*, the average value of course would be 3*. If we said, 3* is the average and ok, 4* is good and 5* is very good, then there would be not problem at all. Because if You get one 1* review You can easily make up for that with one single 5* review and You are back to the ok 3* average.

But we have something else. The required average is 4.7* minimum, below You may even get delisted, and You need 18 five* reviews to make up for one 1* review.

The problem with bad guests and their bad reviews are not the guests and their reviews, but the terms of the rating system imposed by our partner airbnb.

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Uté, Most guests are wonderful, they respect their surroundings and from our perspective, many have become friends with us.

What you see here in the CC is not typical of the hosting community! Very few hosts will take the time to come here and tell you how great their guests are. People who come here want support, they feel they have been treated badly by Airbnb or their guests and they want advice or compassion....or simply to get an issue off their chest!

And I can tell you support is even worse than here....Everyone who goes to support has a problem and most of them are angry. There are no nice verbal exchanges like there are here.

Focus on your guests Uté and don't take too many of the issues you see here as being typical of what the hosting community can expect.....it is not. I think my experience would be reasonably average amongst hosts and with over 150 Airbnb hostings to my credit there would be no more than 2 guests I would not wish to host again!

The rating system is an issue Uté but, as the number of guests who choose not to write a review rises Airbnb will sooner or later realise that the review system is actually working against them, not for them and they may do something about!....We live in hope!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin0 ,

Hi Rob,

the statement „most guests are wonderful“ is the one of the most frequently used statements here on the CC. You know that most guests are wonderful, I know it and all others know that too.

But what does that helb a host who is struk by a terrible guest? This guest is only 1 bad guest out of 50 good guests, but he's got the one.

The bad guests I'm talking about in my thread left a review about my place mid october last year. By the way, it was their 3. attempt to have a review published, 2 before got deleted by the platform (not airbnb). This new version of their review was extremely well written. They praised a couple of amenities that I have and then lied about other things very politely. And this was what made the review so devastating.

I tried to have the review removed again, unfortenately the person on the platform I needed for this was on holiday for another 12 days. In the first 2 weeks of october I had 13 booking inquiries, almost one per day, after the review got published, there was not a single inquiry for 12 days.

So one negative guest can completely kill Your business that you have built over the course of 10 years.

I think that 20% of all post in the CC are about reviews, and it's getting worse. As out there a class of guests is developing, educating themselves in the community center and taking advantage of the current situation at airbnb. There is an evolution going on out there: Guest are becoming more and more educated, host are starting to hate airbnb more and more, and airbnb does not react to that.

What I don't understand is this:

Why does the company allow, that a small group of guests ruins the relationship between airbnb and their hosting community.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Ute0.  

Without putting a hex on things, my guests have ranged from average to super guests!  

Lucky, very lucky... and more luck....

@Robyn0 is quite right to stay focus on the guests. You appear to have worked out your market and business plan.

Contributing facts with my luck? My rental space is on my property where I live. I can stop incorrect behaviour, politely but quickly. If you always follow a redirection with an affirmation (or a positive), guests are more likely to understand and respond positively.

So far it’s working! Mind you, I set my pricing etc to meet a particular market. I therefore don’t get visitors coming through on very low budgets. My hometown is isolated, and people pay money to get here, so they are already prepared to put out for the experience. My job is to enhance that experience.

But the impact of the fantastical and unreal criteria for super hosts, will mean we are all affected. 

Maybe I need to provide some pink clouds and unicorns  to keep above the unrealistic guests average review.

Or maybe Airbnb can get real with their algorithm and rating system, in this ever increasing STR business.

🙂

Cathie

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Cathie0 ,

Hi Cathie,

thank You for sharing Your thoughts and I'm glad to hear that You're a lucky host – that's the way it should be.

Here are my 3 points for being lucky with hosting:

• I live nearby my rental on the same property as You do

• My husband has the right size and weight for the STR-business

• I have full control over electricity, water and heating from the outside of the rental

This setup enables me to handle all arising on site problems without getting any third party involved.

The only problem that I have in hosting is a company by the name of airbnb and it's weird rating system, and I'm not alone with this.

If airbnb would not exist and there would only be the guests an me, there wouldn't be any problem at all.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Ute0 hi, Sunny! Balthazar ( my dog) would love to play with you.

and I agree with you that there are negative people out there. It is not always obvious, even with multiple pre- booking conversations that they are negative and then they get to our place. Some fake it and then give a less than stellar review. Others , you just know are going to not be so great based on their attitudes. And that is all OK.that is who they are. What is not OK is Airbnb’s new ratings policy that will strongly favor the negatives in the world.