New Trip Type/Collections feature and Televison

Promethea0
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

New Trip Type/Collections feature and Televison

I am a Superhost who offers a large guesthouse with a Great Room for gatherings.  My place has an extensive library, a formidable collection of board games, several charming common spaces for socializing, and no television.  Guests often exclaim about how much they enjoy the opportunity to pick up a great book, play games with their friends and family, and be away from the tempation of turning on the TV.  I've probably received at least 30 reviews in the past year that gave positive mention of not having a television in the house.

When Airbnb rolled out their new Trip Type feature, I noticed that if guests specified their trip type, my listing no longer showed up because I don't offer a television, which is a required feature for every collection.  This is quite a connundrum.  If families, for example,  don't even see my listing, I will almost certainly see a drop in bookings.  

Anyone else have a similar issue?  And what do folks think about this Trip Type search feature?

19 Replies 19
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Promethea0

TV's are not expensive to purchase and the airbnb research establish that the majority of travellers would want a TV, hence the requirement.

i purchased the TV and still with the correct amenities that qualify me for Family my listing is not coming up.....there is a bug in the system....

also, in the past 3 years i have been booked 297 days each year, by families that were happy i did not have a TV and that is one of the reasons they booked with me.....

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Promethea0@Marit-Anne0 It's another sign of Airbnb deciding they know what all guests want and that they aren't intelligent enough to use the check box features to search for properties that meet their requirements. It's similar to Airbnb now forcing ALL hosts to provide linen and sheets. @Promethea0 It's not always about the expense. Sometimes a host wants to offer a different experience and Airbnb are now stopping that from occurring and are trying to make all Airbnb's equal. A massive step away from what got them to where they are now. Now they are becoming just another booking platform but unfortunately one whoreally wants to discourage the small hosts and focus on property managers and hotel type offerings.

My thoughts exactly, Gillian.  I am really delighted to offer a unique and enjoyable alternative to the hotel like environment that most listings tend toward.  This discouragement of the niche host is a loss both for hosts like myself and the guests that really like what we offer.

Airbnb says "Host the way you want" they make a big deal of this in their new "toolkit" and yet it is no longer the truth.

Elly0
Level 4
Eugene, OR

@Promethea0, agreed!
We have a similar discussion where listings are excluded from the Work Collection for no TV, even if they were previously business ready listings.

Work Collection requires a Television!?

As I suggested in the other discussion, I sent feedback (https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback) and I encourage everyone who feels this way to do the same.

I'll send feedback as well, Elly.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Promethea0, I loathe TV myself and don't have one in my own house. Would prefer to go to TV-free places, especially if going with a group as there are many people who have it on for background noise constantly which would drive me insane. I suggest that you do indeed buy a TV, put it in a cupboard, tick the box which says that you have one (so you will be found in searches), then say on the listing that there is a TV in a cupboard somewhere should anyone need it. If it becomes a problem, then delete it and untick box again. But you cannot lose visibility in searches! All the best with this one.

I have TV in my accom these days, but didn't used to. Had a romantic getaway and guests often commented on how nice it was to spend time with EACH OTHER, not the TV. One partner will be sports mad, or whatever. No time to connect and look each other in the eyes with a TV carrying on.

Only reason I have one now is that I bought a new screen for movie watching and it happened to get reception without aerial (have no aerial). It is spasmodic, but it's there.

To all who say a TV is cheap: Yes it is. It cheapens your whole stay, that's how cheap it is. 😞

This is precisely the flavor of the comments I receive on my television free environment.  Parents express their gratitude for well appointed indoor spaces that don't feature a giant screen, and many guests exclaim about the quality of connection and mental quiet that results in not having a television blaring at them at all hours, as tends to be their habit at home.

We did go ahead and purchase an inexpensive TV and antenae and I tucked it away in a cabinet.  I really think that Airbnb is making a mistake to require televisions in every "family-friendly" home, and will give them that feedback directly.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Promethea0, also there is nothing stating the required size of TV, can be a small portable as far as I understand. As long as we deliver exactly what we say we will, there should not be a problem.

Koreen2
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi all,

I started that other post that @Elly15 linked to here as I am in the same situation.  

In my opinion, if guests want a TV they can select that in the search and chose a place that has a TV.  Mine does not and therefore they should not book with me if they *NEED* a TV.   

I honestly do not understand why airbnb thinks that business travellers require a TV.  In fact, I would say there are many other things that business travellers would want rather than a TV.  For example, acess to a kitchenette, a lint brush, spare notepaper and pens, a smoke detector (which isn't a requirement until July!).  Why on earth would they require a TV?  (want is one thing, require is another!).  

People keep suggesting that I get a "cheap" TV with no cable or satellite.  First of all, airbnb shouldn't force/strongly encourage me to spend my money on anything that is not necessary for my apartment.  If they do start doing that, I will take my apartment off airbnb.   Second, if I get a "cheap" TV and a guest who requires a TV is unhappy with it's quality or the lack of available channels (which in Canada over-the-air reception would be one or maybe two channels if we are lucky) my "amenities" rating could be affected.  

So far, my only choice is to ignore the "work collection", complain to airbnb and hope that they change it.  If they start introducing more ridiculous requirements, I will be forced to take my listing off airbnb.  

I hope others will also complain about this issue and get airbnb to change the requirement.  

Susan787
Level 2
Nashville, TN

@Promethea I also don't have a TV so have been following this thread. Since we all have to work within the constraints of the Airbnb site, and they are now clearly making for profit decisions, I'm keen to find ways to think outside the box.

I love the sound of your space, and clearly your guests do as well. How about, offering them the choice to have the TV removed during their stay if they wish. That way, you are offering them an additional service, (which most other hosts can't offer will wall mounted screens). You could explain to them that many guests love the idea of no TV and if they would like that service, you are happy to provide it.

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

We are a farm stay in Maine.  We considered adding a smart tv and decided to poll all guests from 2017 to see their ideas/response.  Overwhelmingly they said they LOVED not having a tv...more time to read, chat, relax.  We are definitely not adding tv and gladly waving goodbye to our "business ready" and "family collection" labels.  Sad that the world considers tv an integral component to family...not at our farm! 🙂

To all those hosts out there that wonder if they "fit" the ABB categories, I say trust yourself and the rest will work out fine. 

Elly0
Level 4
Eugene, OR

Related... Speaking out in "Host Voice" hopefully would have Airbnb's ear.

Host Voice / Family collection should not include TV's