Negative review left by guest who never stayed

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Negative review left by guest who never stayed

Hi all,

I am having trouble finding how to contact someone at Airbnb, so figured I would turn to the community.

I am a newer Host, as I started hosting in October.  I have had all 4 and 5 star reviews, most of them being 5 stars, except for one.  I had a guest who was scheduled to stay a night in December.  I had kept in constant communication with her prior to her arrival, but on the night she was supposed to arrive, a completely unexpected, uncalled for, unforecast ice storm hit my area.  I still kept texting her, helping her out with directions, offering her guidance, etc. into the late hours of the night.  I went to bed, and she had not arrived still when I woke up.  I kept texting her, letting her know she could come to the home even if it was just to get ready for her event that day, as she was in traffic from the storm all night.  

She never was able to arrive, yet left me a 1 star review on all aspects on my listing, and posted a long review about how she couldn't stay, she didn't get a refund, etc.  I know that with a hotel, if you do not cancel within a certain time period, you don't get a refund, no matter what.  It appears that most listings on Airbnb are the same way.  I'm not sure with an "Act of God" such as an ice storm, but it seems unfair to me that someone who never stayed in my listing can leave a bad review that has since been impacting my ratings, reviews, and deemed me ineligible for my Superhost status.  Can someone advise?  Can a Guest who never stayed really leave a review?  Is there any way to remove this?

11 Replies 11
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Zoe34,

You must contact Airbnb immediately. They should remove any review from a guest who hasn't stayed.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.  Do you know how to get in touch with someone at Airbnb?

@Zoe34

Contact Airbnb at once. A guest who did not stay for whatever reason with you is not entitled to review.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Zoe34

The guest wouldn't have to have been able to leave a review if you had notified Airbnb that the guest hadn't stayed. Get in contact with them now and see if they will remove the review.

I am unaware of any way to "get in touch" with Airbnb...someone had emailed me when I first put my listing as live, but I tried to email her and it went undelivered.  Any ideas on how to reach out to an actual person?

@Zoe34

Easiest way (and you will have a record of the conversation) is via Twitter - search for AirBnBhelp

Hi @Zoe34

her review clearly says that she was not at your place but required your assistance through the night. You worked more for that guest than for a normal easy going guest, who arrives, grabs his key, goes out at night and checks out before you wake up, which is what more than half of my one nighters do. So don't feel bad about it.

She wrote the hotel told her, they would have refunded. That's ridiculous: if you keep the room blocked, you pay. But no lie to ridiculous, if you can hit on the competition. 

If you get hold of someone at airbnb, tell them the review stipulates she did not stay.

For your answer, in general you should not write something like"Take it up with airbnb!". The public answer is not there for communication with the guest, but to change a bad impression. You come over as nice, trying to help, which is good, but a bit helpless, wich is less good. In such a situation, a joke may work better. "You are correct, you did not use the bed, but my night hours as travel guide by phone, coach and psychologist have to be considered as well. I prefer nights by far, where guest and host sleep soundly in their beds ;-)"

Thanks, @Cynthia-and-Chris1!  I have looked all over the actual website from my hosting standpoint and never came across a phone number.  

Refer to this posting regarding how to contact AirBnB

Contact AirBnB

@Cynthia-and-Chris1

that is sooooo impressive - I have never seen that before! Brilliant, and I want to be able to do that!

Best Wishes (and thank you for your really useful posts)