Need urgent assistance - is this a scam?

Need urgent assistance - is this a scam?

Hi there,

I received the following message on my listing about 10 minutes ago:

"Hi, I am currently looking to move to the Melbourne area due to work. I am looking for a fairly long term lease (6 months or so). Is this something that might suit you? I work full time with a stable income and consider myself to be very clean and friendly! Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Millie"

The account looks as if it was created in June 2016, the photo is a bit blurry and there is no ratings/other activity on the account. The booking time is from Aug 20 - Feb 20 (in the region of $30,800 AUD). Obviously this would be perfect, however I am concerned it is not legitimate given the irregularity of it all.

I asked for a contact number so we can discuss and outlined that a longer term arrangement was certainly palatable. I have since pre-approved and awaiting response from the traveller.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matty

11 Replies 11
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Matty1 It seems the only "irregularities" are from your side (by asking for their phone number so that you can negotiate and possibly pay outside the Airbnb system).

Thanks for the response but I take umbridge at that comment.

At what point did I suggest I wanted to discuss payment outside the Airbnb platform?

The fact I pre-approved the booking request is evidence of that.

I don't know about you but with someone potentially staying in my apartment for 6 months whilst I am out of the country I would like to have a conversation and understand a bit more of the details and perhaps help clarify any of the guests questions. Private message conversation is not the best channel to do this.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Matty1, I don't think it is a scam either, and if you want this guest you might want to encourage her by making a special offer considering the length of time she is staying. Now you have sent off the pre-approval you might not be able to, but if she returns to you with negotiations it could be something to consider. Lots of people move town and try to find their feet. Some of them have good income to cover your 30 grand! I imagine she is asking a few people.

Jacquelyn0
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I have several guests for long stays before especially for Australia. Never had any issues.  They are normally coming over because they got a contract position at a local company with short notice and they need to uproot and move asap.   

For instance, I had a guest who contacted me two days before his reservation start date (during my slow season).  He wrote me a similar message.  I inquired about the sudden need and he explained that he just landed his dream job at Microsoft as a short term contractor and he needed to leave ASAP if he wanted the job.  So he, his wife and his two Pitbulls were packing and scrambling to find a new home.  This lovely couple and their two adorable dogs stayed with me for 3 happy months. They were wonderful tenants.  In short, just ask more questions.  This is your home, if they have nothing to hide they will explain their circumstances.  

Best wishes!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They can not send you a telephone number, ABB does not allow it.

David
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Matty1,

I say keep following the bouncing ball. You seem to have your wits about you so just keep an eye on any shake downs or negotiation tactics.

For a 6 month lease, I agree a chat on the phone cannot hurt either. Just be wary that long term bookings are paid monthly on a rolling basis... not all upfront like a short term stay. 

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Shana0
Level 2
Colchester, VT

I'm not sure what you are seeing as a possible scam.  Airbnb won't let you communicate outside of airbnb until after the guest books.  Did you respond to her message? Even if you pre-approved her, if you don't respond to her message she might not be comfortable booking.

If they have not yet accepted you can take the pre approval off and send a special offer. 

I've had a similar thing happen last night.
4 month booking- I'd make $72000 and it would be amazing but seems too good to be true!
What was the outcome with yours?

Well your maths is wrong, but still a lot.

Not many people will have that sort of credit limit.

My guess is that they make the reservation and then ask you to refund due to whatever reason some of the amount. Orginal payment never clears but yours does.

David
Julie284
Level 2
Berryville, VA

Long term rentals can be legit, but you need to understand possible problems.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-long-t...