Need some guidance..

Vanessa102
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Need some guidance..

Hi all! Im hoping I can get some guidance. I am a new host and have completed 3 previous reservations that were all great experiences however, I'm not sure how to handle my last reservation.

During the booking, my guest had advised me her &her husband were in town for a wedding and upon arrival I only checked her in. (Suspicion 1) During her stay, I would message her to check in and got no response. I finally received a response upon her checkout stating she was on her way to the airport and the only issue she had was they had to buy toilet paper as they couldn't find any in the house. (Suspicion 2) My home is equipped with two bathrooms and I personally put new rolls in each bathroom prior to their arrival. (Difficult for me to grasp two whole toilet rolls were used by 2 people after 1 night stay)

Upon arrival to the house, there were kitchen chairs in the living room (seems to have been moved to accommodate a large group as my sofa seats 5) 8 glasses were left dirty in the sink, empty bottles of beer left on the kitchen counter, the hallway floor was sticky due to what I assume is spilled alcohol and the trash had several boxes of feminine products (definitely 1 box to many for 1 woman with only a 2 day stay) .

As my house rules states, 'no parties', 'after 2 guests a $10 pp' & only guests booked are allowed on the premises', I'm not sure what the best route is to handle this or what to charge. As I frequently use Airbnb as a guest, I always ensure to leave the place tidy and leave the home as I found it in addition to following house rules. I'm not sure if I'm just applying those 'high' standards to my guests however, I am a bit upset at the lack of consideration for ones home.

Any advice would be great.
Thank you!
11 Replies 11
Steven47
Level 3
Northampton, United Kingdom

Hi Vanessa, do you have friendly neighbours that keep an eye out for you ? I would ask around to find out a little more info - failing that I would ask them outright about your suspicions.

As I have not informed my neighbors I host, they jokingly mentioned I had a party this weekend. I also failed to mention, upon checkout Airbnb had sent me an email to review Mia and her "group"

@Vanessa102, I can't help with the rest of the issues, but I do know that "Mia and her group" just means Mia and her one guest. Her reservation said 2 guests, right? So when the second guest is named by the person who books, Airbnb asks you to review "Mia and [name of second guest]". But when the second guest is not named, Airbnb asks you to review "Mia and her group" no matter the number in the group. So that wording is not a factor.

Thank you for clarifying that!
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

Usually for this case, I dont think you can get to do anything specially they have checked out unless you found anything damage inhouse to charge them.

I also failed to mention, upon checkout Airbnb had sent me an email to review Mia and her "group". How is it Airbnb knows a group was here?

Mina plus one = group.

Reviews is the perfect location to cover the issues.

David

Definitely will take to the review to remedy this. Thank you!
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds an issue for the review.

David
Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Vanessa102, Because there was not any physical damage (extra cleaning) it is not worth going after the security deposit.  Because you cannot be at the property and you want to enforce the house rules regarding parties and extra visitors, I recommend installing a camera outside the entrance.  

I have one for security (to make sure guests lock the entrance at the street) and it is very helpful to confirm that guests have arrived for checkin or left when checking out.  In two cases when we noticed many people leaving in the morning, we reviewed the motion-activated footage and saw that many extra people had entered the apartment the night before.  Arlo makes a great camera that is battery operated with free cloud storage.  Dropcam also has a good camera, but without free cloud storage.  Finally, you must disclose that you have a security camera in your listing.  Do not set one up to capture images inside the apartment.

Thank you Stephanie! Highly considering getting an entrance camera now. Appreciate the camera suggestions, definitely looking those up.