NJ Occupancy tax wef 01Oct2018

Anand3
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

NJ Occupancy tax wef 01Oct2018

Hello Fellow NJ hosts,

I am trying to understand if Airbnb will collect the new taxes on our behalf and I am unable to find any information on the site.

https://www.avalara.com/mylodgetax/en/blog/2018/07/new-law-creates-airbnb-tax-in-new-jersey.html

Today I called the CS and was told Airbnb will collect and remit at a future date(unspecified).

My questions are:

1. Who will collect and remit the taxes for the bookings made prior to Oct.

2. Do we need to register for the Sales Tax id if we need to collect

Any pointers on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

>>a

2 Replies 2
Kristen182
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

I tried calling today and got absolutely no clarification at all in reference to the NJ occupancy tax. I don't think the rep even understood what I was talking about! Any help would be appreciated.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Kristen0

Don't count on Airbnb CS reps to know/help/understand about lodging/occupancy/sales taxes.

Most cities and local county areas have a dedicated officer within the local government office who will be happy to give you the information you need about local occupancy tax. At a state level you should be able to find out online also, and if any registration is necessary for an individual rental property (most states do not require this unless you are a corporate business).

When Airbnb do collect this tax - it will be submitted to the State in a bulk once a month/quarter payment - with no individual details attached. So the state, and/or local county/area office, will not know, or register, that your property payments have been received.

It is worthwhile getting in touch with your local county/city hall and speaking with a tax officer. They will be able to let you know what paperwork (if any) is required to submit so that officials know how much of the Airbnb payment received should be attributed to your account.