My guests arrived and are unhappy

Aristea0
Level 2
Volos, Greece

My guests arrived and are unhappy

My guests arrived today and they just told me that the are not happy with the place in that there are shared common spaces and that I don't dlearly specify that in the description of the house. This is not correct, because I state in the description of the house that there are spaces that are shared (particularly a big veranda that connects the 2 houses).  

What can I do about that? Should they leave? If they don't like me as their host, how can I be their guest? Is there a policy, can they get a refund? Do I tell them to leave if they don't like the place?

35 Replies 35
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Ask Airbnb for their advice.

They have experience and can objectively determine if you are correct. If they determine guests are players, you could get payment if guest cancels.

Otherwise, let guest know they can cancel and see where things lie.

Put it on them. Don't get into drama, don't promise and don't argue.

@Aristea0

You are correct in trying to put this in perspective.

I have a similiar situation - 2 houses share a back yard.

Unlike you, I do not even warn guests about the shared yard. I believe they are getting a private house. Anything outside the 4 walls is just icing on the cake. 

So while I can understand guests having high expectations, the expectation of unshared outside space was assumed not promised. 

If you determine this to be a continal problem, put a caption on picture of veranda.

In listing positively point out "Shared common veranada".

ABB objective?

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Aristea0  You should put this into your listing too, not just the rules. It could be over looked like in this case.  "Some spaces are shared - Seaside Summer House "Elia" and Seaside Summer House "Flamouria" share a spacious veranda, but can also be occupied separately." 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aristea0 - Which of your three listings are they staying in? From a cursory glance, I couldn't see any shared spaces on them. 

Edit. Thanks to @Letti0, I get it. Very easy to miss. 

@Gordon0  It's the bottom two I almost missed it too. It in the rules section as Something You must  Acknowledge. 

Aristea0
Level 2
Volos, Greece

I understand, but when I listed the houses, I put it in the house rules in the section that specifies if there are spaces that are shared or not... If you look at the full details on each listing, you cannot miss it, I think. The thing is that some people (and I have noticed this many times) do not bother to check every detail...what can be done about this? Plus, everyone that has been interested in the house until now, has already been notified by me personally about the shared veranda (exactly in case they missed it in the details!) 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aristea0

>>If you look at the full details on each listing, you cannot miss it, I think<<

I did, I'm afraid. 

The problem is, your place looks so tranquil, I'd struggle to want to share the veranda with anyone. And my husband would refuse outright. 

Not sure what the answer is, maybe a photo that illustrates who's is which bit?

It's true, it's one of the most tranquil places and in my opinion, you wouldn't feel like sharing it, because it's really quite big. I myself spent 3 of the last days there, along with my mother, and a family was staying to the house next to us. I didn't see them for the whole day. There was no fuss, they didn't complain and in fact were waiting in anticipation to meet their neighbours! But I understand this cannot be always the case.

However, I must insist on that...when I was ready to list my house, I specified the case about the two houses and the shared veranda EXACTLY where Airbnb promted me to do so, in the "house rules" section. 

Anyway, what can be done now? I mean, the guests are not happy, therefore I am not happy, actually I am worried and what can be done to help now?  I feel that I am right but I think that they feel they are in the right in their part too.

P.S. I'm really glad you liked the veranda, I'll be happy to welcome you - I'll make sure the veranda is all yours 🙂

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

It's very easy to miss, because you have to click on Read all Rules to see it.  It needs to be mentioned in the 'The Space' section of the text as well.

@Aristea0: Most people barely read the descriptions. If you really want specific / important information translated to guests write it up and add it as a "picture"...weird I know...but a lot of people look at pictures only.

That's what I am thinking at the moment...thanks for your reply...

@Aristea0

>>If you look at the full details on each listing, you cannot miss it, I think<<

Some guests don't read the listing *at all*, much less read the full details.

Some guests don't even look at all the photos.

I remember a host who posted a story about a guest who was surprised there were cats in the house... despite the fact that the cats are mentioned more than once in the description AND the two cats were clearly on display in multiple photos.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Re what can be done now, offer them an apology and free cancellation or a partial refund as compensation for their “inconvenience.”