My guests arrived and are unhappy

Answered!
Nancie0
Level 2
Largo, FL

My guests arrived and are unhappy

I have gotten nothing but glowing reviews from my renters until THIS renter TODAY and they are very unhappy and claim my place requires a deep clean and smells.  I don't even know what to do or say except, I want them to leave.  Any advice on how to get them to move on? 

I told them that I will do whatever they want including refund them.  Does anyone have any advice or insight on how best to handle this situation?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

@Chloe-and-Michel0

Hi Chloe, that is a great perspective you put there and your comments are to be respected, but I would take issue about one part of your statement.

I'm Rob, an Airbnb Superhost from Australia and part of the Experts team! We are a paid level of support for Airbnb.

Can I please clarify one point!

A/. If a guest cancels a reservation before the day of the scheduled arrival, according to the time zone of the listing, they will not be offered the opportunity to post a review.

B/. If a guest cancels on the day of the scheduled arrival they will be offered the opportunity to review but if they did nor set foot in the property and the stay did not take place Airbnb will remove any review written.

C/. If the guest entered the property on the scheduled day of arrival and was in a position to form an opinion on the property they will be offered the opportunity to post a review and that review will be accepted and posted by Airbnb.

So, If the guest entered the property, found it unsuitable and cancelled the reservation they will still be offered the opportunity to leave a review.

This is the ruling as of 31st August 2017 and is a result of action by the Competition and Marketing Authority........

Changes to reviews.png

If there is ever doubt over a review a final decision to allow or not will be arrived by adjudication, there is not a categoric answer to this. 

So Chloe, just be a bit careful about that! We are already seeing hosts tripping up on this one!

All the best...and keep up your great hosting!

Cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm sorry Nancie, You're doing what I would do. Provide a refund with a smile , and assist them on their way out of your home. Be nice about it it. But yes I agree with you if you're not happy with me as host, it's best if you're not my guest.

Good luck.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't be held to ransom by these guests.

Whether you cleaned it yourself or had a professional clean you will know what standards it has been cleaned to.

By saying you will do whatever they want you have played into their hands

Get them to be very specific what sort of smell . What area need a deep clean and why? Get around there ASAP or get your manager around there photo/video everything.

Flag with BNB.

If there is nothing wrong don't offer money back but speak to BNB and see if they will find them somewhere else
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I had a similar situation happen recently and strogly advise you contact AirBNB vs having you or the guest handle.   What they did in my case was. 

1) Place the guest in a nearby AirBNB property

2) Fully refunded the guest including booking fees

3) Paid me for the night they did stay

The reservation disapeared from my listing page and the payment came in form of an account credit.  No reviews.  

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nancie0  I agree with @Ephraim0 about an unhappy guest is usually not a good fit.  However, please tell the guest to call Air BNB and ask to be relocated.  That way you do not have a cancellation on your record with all the attending penalties and the guest will not have to pay the Air BNB fees.  Those fees would be applied to the new booking.  You do not have any money to refund them with as the Air BNB payment occurs 24 hours after check in.  It is on the guest, not you, to take care of this issue.

Cairo1
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Sorry to hear Nancie, and I am not sure if I can be much help.  However, I have had similar experiences recently ... 75 guests over 3 years and no complaints until 2 in a row recently.

The first one didn't complain until 48 hours before departure .... I will not comment further on that one here as it will not be of much use to you.

The second lot complained immediately on arrival about my bed .. they were feeling it and checking it out, and the fact they asked about it just a week before arriving, despite booking with me a year in advance, gave me some warning signals.

I was straight on the phone to Airbnb to find out what I could do ... they were insisting they could not stay if I did not replace my mattress (there is nothing wrong with my mattress other than it being on the medium-to-soft side, and the guests straight after actually commented on how comfy it was!).

Anyway .... I wanted rid of them straight away .. I knew if they stayed, and I didn't bow down to their demands, that I would be getting a stinking review from them.  Airbnb were great, they liaised with the guest, who was appeared to want to leave since I had no intention to replace the mattress .. and Airbnb negotiated what to me was a fair deposit forfeit for the guest .... I normally do short term but this guest wanted 33 nights.

From reading these forums it seems that some guests complain to try and get a refund.  Make sure that all your correspondance is through the Airbnb message system, and contact them about this problem.  Many hosts have said that Airbnb rehoused them, organised the refund, and the hosts were not penalised.  

we have unhappy guests. It was a last minute booking for them as they had to come earlier to Spain than scheduled and (say) that they had to cancel a previously booked fancy apartment nearby. Because of the same day booking they hadn't recieved any of my info (their phone didn't pick up internet), and so complained about lack of parking info. and lack of directions. Upon arrival the woman complained about a stuffy smell but windows had been open all week as we had been spring cleaning, painting, polishing etc. (it was smelly sticks I think that I removed for her) and I could hear her commenting on other things as she walked around the apartment (obviously not to her liking). Their main complaint is that internet was not working, yet when I left it was, they checked it upon my request as i had to phone up the company (infront of them) as the orange light was showing on router. And specifically said if it doesn't work to let me know. And if they had any problems to let me know. I tried earlier today in 4 different ways to contact them with no luck to see if they were OK  and the wifi was OK and the smell had gone.

This evenign at 11,30pm (29 hours later) I get a message to say the internet hadn't been working today and they wanted a full refund. And their extra guest wasn't coming (who even hadn't been booked in anyway). So I have sent them approx half their money provided they leave (as they suggest). But I reckon we'll get a bad review........

and I can't see how to contact airbnb to ask them! I went through the resulution centre to send the refund, I just hope these people leave...and I haven't refunded for nothing

I am very sorry that you encountered a guest who is not happy. Once in a while it happens. It's like rain; who knows? 

First thing to do is to understand specifically what the issues are, and how to remedy it. If it's something you can control - bingo! You're on it, right away. Offer them a pizza, and a bunch of high fives and smiles.

If it's something you can't do anything about, such as the wallpaper, or just a vague feeling of malaise, it's up to you. I live with my guests; your situation may not be as close and personal. But if you feel it's insurmountable, and you don't want to deal with them, you have the option of giving them a refund if they have not checked in, and arranging alternate accommodation through Airbnb.

Thirdly is the situation where the guest is super picky. Super picky = PITA. I would never dream of going to a hotel and asking them to change the mattress! Again, your call (see above).

Sometimes you've just got to be polite but firm. People respect boundaries. If they don't, it's a quick "I'm calling Air; here's the door". 

One way or another I'd call Airbnb, and have them note the challenges.

Thinking of you!!!

Mark296
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

Why do you want them to move on? Simply because they gave you an honest opinion?  Since they didn't ask to cancel, let them finish their stay and afterwards give it a good cleaning. 

Chloe-and-Michel0
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I would politely acknowledge them, say something sypathetic and then tell them they can cancel and you'll help them find something they love. Once they cancel you are free to negotiate whatever you want -  partial refund (or more, or less). Send them some links to nearby places. If they cancel they cannot leave you a review so you don't need to worry about a scathing review marring your listing. 

Right on, Chloe and Michael. It's very rare for a Guest to arrive and hate it on the spot, but if they don't check in, I recommend that they contact Air immediately and they will arrange a reassignment. You lose the booking, and the revenue, but it's better than having unhappy people around. 

@Chloe-and-Michel0

Hi Chloe, that is a great perspective you put there and your comments are to be respected, but I would take issue about one part of your statement.

I'm Rob, an Airbnb Superhost from Australia and part of the Experts team! We are a paid level of support for Airbnb.

Can I please clarify one point!

A/. If a guest cancels a reservation before the day of the scheduled arrival, according to the time zone of the listing, they will not be offered the opportunity to post a review.

B/. If a guest cancels on the day of the scheduled arrival they will be offered the opportunity to review but if they did nor set foot in the property and the stay did not take place Airbnb will remove any review written.

C/. If the guest entered the property on the scheduled day of arrival and was in a position to form an opinion on the property they will be offered the opportunity to post a review and that review will be accepted and posted by Airbnb.

So, If the guest entered the property, found it unsuitable and cancelled the reservation they will still be offered the opportunity to leave a review.

This is the ruling as of 31st August 2017 and is a result of action by the Competition and Marketing Authority........

Changes to reviews.png

If there is ever doubt over a review a final decision to allow or not will be arrived by adjudication, there is not a categoric answer to this. 

So Chloe, just be a bit careful about that! We are already seeing hosts tripping up on this one!

All the best...and keep up your great hosting!

Cheers.....Rob