My first experience of hosting.

Christine571
Level 2
United Kingdom

My first experience of hosting.

My first guests arrived then left.  They were very apologetic but said that they couldn't stay because of their religion.  Has anyone else had this?

They were two very nice young muslim men, and even though the rooms they can have are completely separate from my living quarters, it seems they cannot stay in the same building as me (I am a single woman in my later years).   They put a search in and somehow my house appeared on their search.  

In my listing I state that two rooms are available and that I live  in the house.  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can make this more clear?

It's very disappointing as I went shopping and brought a lot of things for breakfast that I don't eat!

19 Replies 19
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Christine571 your listing clearly says that you live in the property. They did not do their job reading the listing thoroughly prior to booking. I don't think you need to make this more clear.

Are they a new airbnb user?

If I rent a private room, I would not be surprise if my host live on-site.

Thank you Farah.  I thought I had made it clear.  These young men are French though and their English is poor but there is the translation function, which is what I used to read their request.

My next problem is that I can't email Air b and B and advise them and I am afraid I'll lose this income.  I've written the email and tried to press "send" but the page keeps jumping back to the reservation.  Any tips there please?  Or how do I let them know that these chaps cancelled after arrival and inspection of the villa?

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

People of faiths that do not allow staying in places with females need to rethink their AirBnB booking. "As this is my home" is the dead giveaway that you will be staying IN THE HOME. It also seems to me that they need to cancel - and that you do not need to get dinged for loss of income.

This may sound harsh - but to me it's not. It simply a guest not doing the normal things required to abide by their religion before renting a property. They knew - you made it QUITE CLEAR - before they booked that you are female (in your picture) and with your profile name - AND that you are in the home!

Thank you Jann.  I thought it was pretty clear too.  They did apologise and said it wasn't my fault but I don't know how to let Air b and B know that they have cancelled, or will I just get paid anyway?

Thank you for that information.

Lois10
Level 5
Rock Springs, WY

The guest will be front refunded according to your return policy

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Nothing to make clear, your listing is fine.

People cancel, people no show, you never really know why. Best not to try and rationalise it, does not matter.

Not clear if they have cancelled on the system, your cancellation policy determines what you get.

Not sure how long they were staying, if one night then not an issue, if longer they need to cancel to get any money back and to open your calendar.

David
Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Hi @Christine571: What a beautiful home you have! Sorry your first hosting experience turned out to be disappointing. I see you do mention in your listing that this is your private home, and this information is in the part of the listing which logically fits (interaction with host). When a potential guest looks at your listing though, this portion of the listing does not show up unless the guest sees the "read more" cue and clicks for the remainder of the information. I am guessing that many guests - especially those who are new to the system or have already read through several listings and are starting to get a little overwhlemed - or those who are entranced by the beautiful pictures of the property - do NOT understand how much important information is hidden.

I suggest you consider moving up the mention of "this is my private home and I will be here during your stay" to somewhere in the first two paragraphs of your listing. I'm guessing this will significantly improve the likelihood that guests will actually register the information.

Thank you Isabel for your compliments on my house.  I rather like it too. 🙂 

I will take your suggestion and move that sentence closer to the top of the listing, so that it can be read more easily.  Thank you.

Lina53
Level 9
New York, NY

@Christine571  I guess they thought "Christine" is man's name and they missed your picture.

I do not buy it (they probably did not like the place).  If they were so concerned then they would have asked beforehand.  

Joanna105
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

@Christine571 

I wonder if they will ask you for a refund. However, if your listing is exactly what you posted, I believe Airbnb will hold your justice. Your photos are also on the profile, so there is no way they can claim that they are not aware of that.

I just had a similar situation too, with the guests left because 'its not up to their standards', even though my photos and my listings described my apartment accurately. My building manager who they passed the keys back to, told me they simply want a place in downtown (mine is 20 minutes away).

They sent me a message and told me they left. I'm not planning to respond. No way I'm going to refund them. 

Hello Joanna

They did ask me for a refund, which I refused.  I told them on the phone before they left France, in three languages, that I lived in the property.   It is also stated in the listing.  I would have been prepared to refund them had they cancelled during the phone call, but I had no chance of getting another booking.  Airbandb are sending me the money, apparently.

Hi @Christine571 you are absolutely right, do not refund them, never cancel a guest, they must do that themselves, and you are entitled to the payment, as the booking was made, just because they came up with an ëxcuse"not to stay does not change anything, as you are the one who looses out. You do not need to worry, yiu will never see these people again. Further if they post a bad review you can reply that it is fraudelent as the did not actually stay with you.

Your house is wonderful, and your prices are very low! Is this the market rate for your area? I always remind people to make sure they get a fair price, fair on themselves and the guest.