Missing blanket

Marie-Claire3
Level 5
Waltham, MA

Missing blanket

I've been a host for over three years and have had a new experience today: 

Two guests left today (I rent two rooms) and when I went upstairs later to clean the rooms, the Indian blanket on the foot of the bed in one room was missing from the room of the guest who left first in the morning.  The other guest took her time leaving (she had a lot to clean up after spending two weeks with me) and the door of the other guest room was left open.  Now I don't know which guest took the blanket, could be either, but I don't want to make false accusations.  I know that guest #2 was moving into her new apartment today, while the other was flying home to another state.  Should I just forget about the blanket (its replacement value is about $30) or politely ask both ladies if they have "seen" the blanket?  Any advice?  All this is pre-review of course, and could earn me bad reviews for both stays...

4 Replies 4
Karen77
Level 10
Montrose, CO

I would be inclined to approach them as allies and ask, as you suggest, if they might have any idea where the blanket might be.   It's unlikely that will go anywhere but at least you've mentioned it.  And then, because the value of the item is not significant, I'd simply replace it.   

@Karen0

Ditto

So sorry this has happened to you.  What a sticky wicket.  

Well, differing opinion here - I'd ask the first guest who left early if she inadvertantly packed the blanket since it was in her room.  She may confess that she erroneously took it and you haven't yet alerted the second guest of any issue.  If she says "no", she left it at the foot of the bed, then ask the second guest if she inadvertantly packed it. Maybe she'll confess. 

If neither fesses up, write to both to be on the lookout for it since while it isn't worth much, it has sentimental value to you - because it does (it belongs to you and you liked it there at the end of the bed and finding another one just like it won't be easy) and offer to pay to have it shipped back - which may actually cost more than the blanket's worth.  You may still be able to send them your addy through the Airbnb system for a few days too.  Sometimes a little guilt over stealing something will cause someone to send it back. At a minimum, every time they use it or look at it, they will recall that they are a thief and stole it from someone who opened their home to them.     

Then flag the profiles of both girls and put in the other category that one of them stole a blanket from your home but you have no proof of which did the stealing.  For the innocent one, it will never be an issue, for the one who steals from every guest a "little something", eventually this will catch up with her.  

And then, you might consider, doing a room once-over after the guest leaves or ask them to hang on while you do a quick room check.  It's tough when you have more than one guest who can take something and "blame" it on another.  

Good luck

Rachel1200
Host Advisory Board Member
England, United Kingdom

The same thing happened to me, my favourite bedspread was missing, so I messaged the guest to ask if she had "inadvertently packed it" and she replied straight away to say she would have told me immediately but didn't have internet. The bedspread had been burnt on the wood burning stove (this is a yurt) and was beyond repair.

i replied that I was upset as it was my favourite bedspread, but on the other hand accidents happen, and I know she paid a lot of money for their 4 night stay, so I didn't know what to say.

She replied immediately that she would get a new one sent to my house, and she did. It's not as beautiful as the original but I am very happy with the way this issue worked out.