Meaning of avialliablity on calandar: its not what I thought!!!!

James998
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

Meaning of avialliablity on calandar: its not what I thought!!!!

Did you know that the Marked availability on the calandar inicates simply the Check-in date cosistent with you minimum stay paramters. That means if
I have availability between Aug1 and Aug. 8  and a mimimum stay of 7 days, and I have bookings just before  and just after this period, only AUG 1 shows up as available, How many potential guests know that there are  7 days available  starting at Aug. 1. ..Very Few.
I suggest  header of calander  includes: ""Availability dates shown are Check-in dates possible consistent with the host's minimum stay requirement [ of say, 1week] "

I have buggethm so should you!

17 Replies 17
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @James998 ,

Most guest are aware the platform works this way. Also the mininum stay is displayed IN the listing under "availability", just under the section "cancellations" ANDdisplayed just  under the booking form.

I do not see 1 augustus as available on your listing "spacious Home etc.." .

You probably have set a custom price for the available weeks, which results indeed in displaying the check in dates only. If you set the price in the calender (or use basic price with discount), then all available  days will be shown. Same when choosing "check-out" in the booking form as first date to be selected: it will display all days. So it is clear to guests (for example) they can book in period 6 - 14 august for 7 nights, only to start on 6 or 7 august (and leave on 13 or 14).

best regards, Emiel

I am using Base Price  for all days in summer.. Still does not show all available days , just checkin days. If calandar did show different things  for different requests the MEANING of "Availability " should be on header of calandar..It is not

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@James998  If you have a 7 day minimum, and open availability from August 1 - August 8, then a check in for August 2-8 would be impossible as there is not enough available time to meet your 7 day minimum. 

@Mikki0 wrote:

@James998  If you have a 7 day minimum, and open availability from August 1 - August 8, then a check in for August 2-8 would be impossible as there is not enough available time to meet your 7 day minimum. 

@Mikki0 wrote:

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@James998 That is because your minimun nights stay is 7 days. If they want to check in on the 2 of August they won't be able because there will be 6 days available and why would they see your property as an option if that option isn't available. Guests that enter the check in and check out dates that correspond with your limitations will see that you have one week available. What guests see is up to you.

The point is That the Guest prbabaly does not know that  availablity show nis "check-in " availablity. if he is flexible on start date/end date  the calandar presented to him will show only one day which he thinks is he only open  day and will not move on

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@James998 it doesen't matter if the guest is flexible when you are not. Even if he wants to stay for 4 days for example he can't because of your restrictions.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

The calendar availability is showing exactly in accrdance with your settings.  If you want to allow a shorter stay in order to fill a gap, you need to go in and enter a custom trip length for those dates.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@James998 I also really hate this calendar layout, and I have complained directly to Airbnb. I only rent my cottage from Saturday to Saturday in the peak season, so it only shows that Saturdays are available on the calendar. It's dumb. People usually stay in the resort for a week, and often their dates are flexible (i.e. they don't care if they check in on Friday, Saturday or Sunday), so I find this setup to be really counterproductive. Probably why I have so few bookings for that particular property through Airbnb, even though I'm booked solid through other avenues!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alexandra316 if peoples dates are flexible yours should be too if you dont mind guests checking in other days that saturday as long as they stay for 7 days.

@Ana1136 sorry, did that sound like I was asking for advice? My response to James must have been poorly phrased. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alexandra316 don't be upset, this is a forum and anyone can respond to everyone 🙂 I am sorry if my suggestion to improve something was misinterpreted by you, I was just trying to help. I don't see the point in such responce. 

James998
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

Bravo!! Who else do you use.. I recommended that they simply put a BAnner on top of calendar saying Check in date availability for minimum length of stay. Without  it everybody thinks those are only open dates

@James998 I use HomeAway and their affiliated sites like VRBO and CanadaStays. I also do rentals through the resort site. It really annoys me, because I would prefer to use Airbnb, but the calendar setup is very silly and I just don't get the inquiries.