Maximising bookings for a new host

James332
Level 1
County Mayo, Ireland

Maximising bookings for a new host

Hi fellow hosts,

I'm new to Airbnb and was wondering about tips to increase bookings.  I have a very nice property (Lodge house) according to guests who have stayed.  Its new, modern spacious and very comfortable.  I see other properties booked out that are not a nice as mine (perhaps its location !) as I've priced it very competitively, it has lake views, large decking area, upstairs balcony with spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and valley....

I've requested professional photos and I'm hoping that this will boost bookings however any suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.  

The guests who have discovered it have come back year after year however I need to increase bookings.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

The consensus to get some booking quickly is to lower your price and raise the price as you get great reviews. There is risk in booking an unreviewed or a lightly reviewed property and your low introductory price reflects that.

A Google search for Maximising bookings for a new host has many articles with some additional ideas. Obvously the articles come from many different perspectives and biases, but in the beginning the more knowledge the better: https://www.google.com/search?q=Maximising+bookings+for+a+new+host

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Hello James and welcome to Airbnb!

Without actually seeing your listing and photos I will try to suggest a few things that have helped me.

Spend some time and look at other listings on Airbnb and examine which listings 'jump out' at you when you browse through..... think of your listing from a potential clients point of view and try to make your main picture speak to them. Ask yourself what are you looking for when you go on holiday? Is it price, location, romance, activities or seclusion? Then figure out how you can make your place stand out in those categories if applicable.

If your lodge is aimed at couples - think of romantic pics you can feature - a dining table set for two, a fireplace with a couple of blankets and 2 glasses of wine, pics of the sunset overlooking the lake, two chairs next to each other on the deck, and so on.

If your place is best suited for families then feature the safe space the lodge provides for family meals and games and activities, closeness to the lake and boating or fishing, group activities nearby or on site etc.

Basically try to have your pics tell the story that your clients want to achieve with their holiday - anything that is different from the usual picture of a house and all the rooms!

And think of the long term plan and set yourself a timescale to get more bookings by setting a reduced rate for a while .... is it better to have loads of bookings at 15% less than you would ideally like - or to be empty? It doesn't have to be forever and a lower price does show up in searches better - as does keeping your listing up to date and responding quickly to all enquiries - good practice like that will promote your listing higher in the search results (allegedly! 🙂

Its all about marketing - and being a little different - and in your listing description try to talk about why your place is so great and all the fun things that are nearby as well as on site.

And don't be afraid to use the instant booking feature - I also was a little hesitant at first - but really in this day and age most clients expect to be able to book instantly, and you will get a 'feel' for the potential renter from their first messages and follow up replies - so trust Airbnb and their ID verification system and try it - it should help increase your bookings (just don't rent to large groups of young people! only my opinion of course!)

Hope that helps!

Rachael

(I lived in England and Belfast before moving back to US - and you are in a lovely part of Ireland!)

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Hello again James!

I thought I would add to my previous reply (I was on my iphone and couldn't actually view your listing), as I now had a quick look at your lovely home so can add a few more specific comments.

I do think you will benefit from some better photographs of the actual property. I liked the pictures of the view and nearby beach, the outdoor patio area with the barbeque - and make sure it looks like a group of people (since you are aiming for families and groups) can enjoy the outside - so a picture of seating for more than 2 will help. And you have a nice indoor fireplace - so take a picture of it when lit.

I hope these next comments are not taken negatively (just trying to help) but in my opinion your description (including a few mispelt words!) needs improving. Describe the place in your words - not other renters. You will have to wait for reviews to get those comments across. And I do think you are overpriced. Take a look at other Mayo listings for some comparisons and ideas - I saw two gorgeous and well described listings nearby - and they were 25% and 50% cheaper than yours.

'Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery' - so take a look at the competition - take note of other listings that are well written and have great reviews - see what people liked about them and try to replicate that in your own listing.

Take a little time to research, review and improve your listing (and reduce the price) and you will be rewarded with bookings!

Best Wishes, Rachael 

One of the newest ways to maximize your listing is to partner with a company to sell the mattress directly to the guests. All you have to do is place a placard next to the bed and if the guest loves the mattress they place an order on line using a coupon code tied to your listing. The mattress is roll-packed and shipped within a week. Commissions are paid monthly. Easiest way to bring in another revenue stream to your listing. 

https://recovrmattress.com/pages/referral-program-for-airbnb-hosts