Loop hole in reviews

Answered!
Marlene42
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Loop hole in reviews

Dear community,

I hope that someone can give me feedback on my issue. As a host I've recently travelled to another city to stay in an airbnb. The place whas not as advertised and the host will not write a review because then my review will go public. My issues are:

A place with only good reviews doesn't necessarly mean that that person have only good reviews - If a guest complaint to host about no ammenties/towels/ half used soap and dirty bedding as advertised, the host can just simply not write a review about that guest to avoid bad publicity.

I viewed all the reviews to make my pick from a selection of places based on what other people experience. I was grossly dissapointed in my stay, and nobody making another booking will know about that. Simply swept under the rug with a NO review about the guest system.

As a new host and a new airbnb guest I'm very very dissapointed that there would be such an loophole in this system.

Regards,

Marlene

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Marlene42

Your review will appear after 14 days no matter what your host does

1. Host writes a review of you, both reviews appear immediately.

2.Host does not write a review of you, your review of your Host appears after 14 days regardless.

The only loop hole I see, is the potential for people book who slip through the net in the 14day grace period.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

As long as your review conforms to the review guidelines  ( https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy ) Your review will appear after the host writes a review of you or 14 days after the stay, whichever is sooner. ( https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work )

Marlene42
Level 2

I'm fully aware of how the review system works. My frustrasion is with the fact that he will not write a review because then both reviews will be public. He knows that I was very unhappy, hence the no review from his side. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Why is it so frustrating, host and guest have the same choice. As a host I don't always respond to reviews. It sounds like you would like him to post negative comments on your profile and get into a slanging match, perhaps the host are putting your visit down to experience and don't wish to make it worse by posting negative comments on your profile.

As a guest your review of the listing will still go public whether the host writes a review or not.

Marlene42
Level 2

My intention is not to go into a "slanging match" Jeff. I merely want others to be aware when they make a booking that the place is not up to standard.

but you write a review and after 14 days that will be posted. If he thinks you will write a bad review then you are probably better not having him write one as that may colour his review unfavorably. Wait for 13 days then write a carefullly thoiught out review. 

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

When you write a review it will show up after 14 days if the other person doesn't write theirs. If both of you wrote at the same time, in that case you both would see what you wrote immediately. It's a nice set up in my opinion. The 14 day grace period is there to allow people time to put their thoughts together. A lot of us got more important thing to do than to rush into writing a review after a stay or host. I usually wait a few days before writing anyone's review.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Marlene42

Your review will appear after 14 days no matter what your host does

1. Host writes a review of you, both reviews appear immediately.

2.Host does not write a review of you, your review of your Host appears after 14 days regardless.

The only loop hole I see, is the potential for people book who slip through the net in the 14day grace period.

Marlene42
Level 2

Thank you Cormac for your explanation. I was under the impression that my review will not show if the host don't post a review. And yes the loop hole I was referring to was the fact that a new guest might book within the 14 days and have the same experience as myself.