Lizzie's failure to reach out to experienced host

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Lizzie's failure to reach out to experienced host

Hi Lizzie, 

I must say how disapointed (but not surprised) by your lack of effort in reaching me by phone. I was hoping to discuss the Community Center and its participation, direction, support and other topics with you as I have been a very active host for several years now both on the forums, as a host and within my community regarding legislation and policy. 

I see that recieving valuable input and criticism is not of interest to you and I will not bother you further.

Best, 
Ernie Thayer

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ernie0 @Lizzie0....Ernest, I think you would do well to realise that there are, in all probability, 35.000 hosts who would like to 'reach out' to Lizzie by phone with some issue or other. That is obviously not possible! there are not enough hours in the day to personally take on everyones issue....That, Ernest is why you are on a FORUM site.

The information you will receive on this CC is from people who have been through the experiences you are no doubt having....and collectively, they have the capacity to answer your issues. Lizzie is not here to answer every Tom, **bleep**, or Harry's question....she is here to keep the wheels on the CC forum turning, making sure questions are in correct threads, and that abuse, or other inconsistencies are dealt with. She has the ability to involve herself in conversation threads and pass on information, but, she is not the company, nor can she offers 'decisions from the hip' about the company that a phone conversation would possibly require!

If you have a question you want to privately discuss about the operation of some aspect of Airbnb get onto your local help desk and they will deal with it, or alternatively you can set up a private message stream with other hosts through their listing if you don't want your conversation public.....

But, for goodness sake, don't take it out on Lizzie because she hasn't the capacity to pick up the phone and dial Ernest!!!!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin: Who are you? 

Thanks for your unsolicited, irrelevant opinion.

Cheers, 
Ernie Thayer

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ernie0 To the contary.....it may have been unsolicited, but it was entirely relevant! You were taking @Lizzie to task for not dropping what is her job and hopping on the phone to you to discuss your personal whims about the CC! And my 'opinion' was to let you know that there was a possibility that that, was probably not a contact option!

You should have read into the situation that, as she DID contact you and tell you that she had removed your contact details, and failed to respond to your request that, what you were requesting was not appropriate! But you kept at it, so after your second conversation starter on exactly the same issue, I felt the need to spell it out for you!

Who am I? I am just a humble little host from the back blocks of South Australia......I don't have 1000 reviews, I don't have years of experience in dealing with Airbnb. But I have had a lifetime in dealing with people both in the public sphere and in free enterprise. I have taken a mechanical services company from 3 employees to 45 in the space of 5 years....I think I have learned a thing or two about dealing with people.

Ernest, I didn't object to what you had in mind, and maybe your ideas would be good, obviously you have the 'runs on the board' but I did seriously object to the way you tried to bulldoze your way into Lizzie's ear. And if I need to be criticised for that....then so be it!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4,

I am not sure that this is your post to weigh in on @Robin4.  @Ernie0 and his son are very wise and knowledgeable about Airbnb and "experienced host" and "active participant" would be a gross understatement.  I think @Lizzie would be wise to entertain @Ernie0's offer as she would probably learn a great deal which would in the end help out the company she works for.  I do think though that Ernie would be better served speaking to the person who hires @Lizzie and the firm she works for. 

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dave-and-Deb0 I agree with you Dave, as I said in one of those posts, Ernest has the experience and would no doubt have a lot of good constructive comment to offer, maybe something that could benefit us all....I felt he was just going about it the wrong way and the fact that Lizzie has remained totally aloof from this seems to confirm this. 

If I can call on your expertise Dave. As much as I love my hosting I am having to bow out for a couple of months to take care of a family issue where our listing is concerned.....You do what you have to do when it come to your kids. I have blocked my calendar for two months!

Is this the best way around this situation and leave my listing visible, or should I 'snooze' it? cheers....Rob

Hi @Robin4,

I hope all is well.

It would depend on if you want to receive requests for bookings from people who want to stay after your 2 month hiatus.  If that is the case, I would only block off the time you will not be hosting.  If you do not want to deal with requests over the next two months, I would either snooze or unlist it.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dave-and-Deb0 Yeah all is fine Dave. This is totally off the thread but it relates to your response above.

My youngest daughter and her partner have been living in Sydney. We have a very strong and effective union movement in this country! They have been so successful that we have amongst the highest wages in the world. But nothing comes for nothing, and the wage structure dictates that we have a cost of living structure that marches in step. $1,000 a week in Sydney does not cover rent and road tolls and they, like many others on the eastern seaboard, just can't get their heads above water.

So as of next week, she and her partner and our two divine little grandchildren are moving into our cottage until they can both get jobs in this area and start to put a bit of money towards their future. Property here is half the cost of equivalent Sydney!

We are of course giving them the use of the facility rent free, so, for a few months my hosting will be resticted to the family.

Dave, Airbnb has been one of the best things I have done in my life....I mean, it hasn't been an enormously profitable thing but, it was never meant to be! I am retired and I needed something like this in my life. The Airbnb platform is so good at vetting potential guests that I enjoy hosting more and more with each guest, as one leaves I look forward to the next one arriving.

I am going to miss this over the next few months.....But I will be back!....Cheers....and thanks....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ernie0...There is a footnote to my last response....I am sorry Ernest, I had not set out to belittle you, and the tone I used was against the philosophy of my mantra throughout my life...We work together, we get on together!

We all have to understand there are some un-attianable pinnacles in life......mine would have been to sleep with Marilyn Monroe....I guess yours should be to have that phone chat with @Lizzie0....cheers....Rob

Justine3
Level 1
Westerham, United Kingdom

@Robin

I have followed some of the comments you have posted. I am new to hosting and would like some advice rearding wrting a reference after a groupd of guest broke mt house rules. I hope it is ok to reach out to you.

Best regards

Justine

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Justine3 @Dave-and-Deb0 @Lizzie....... Hi Justine, sorry it has taken some time to get back to you! I had to, for the past week, make a rush trip to another city to be with one of my daughters. Life can be sometimes rather cruel....for the second time in my life I have had to sit in front of a doctor while he explains to one of my girls she has Multiple Sclerosis. My wife of 45 years is in the latter stages of the disease and it now appears one of my girls will have to walk the same path....Never mind, we will make the best of it!!

Justine, If it is possible I would love to help, either through the forum site or more privately through my listing message stream!

Let me know what your issue is and I will try to help....cheers....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robin4,

It is lovely to see you back in the CC, I know it hasn't been long, but I have to say I have missed hearing your kind words and receiving the positive, happy outlook you spread here. I am sorry to hear your news, life can be hard sometimes and I wish you and your family the best. 

@Justine3, it is great to see you reaching out to Robin for help. I am sure the advice given will also be useful to other hosts, so I would recommend starting a new topic thread to start a new discussion about this, this will then make it easier for others to find rather than sitting in this thread here. I would be happy to link it from this post if you like, so that everyone here knows where it is - just let me know 🙂

Thanks so much, Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie I tried to tag you in a post but you don't appear in the short list of the many Lizzie's displayed.   https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Nowhere-is-it-explained-HOW-TO-CREATE-a-saved-message-can/m-p/...  I also tried to message you directly but this features seems to be broken or removed. 

In particular I think we need a new help guide on using the "Saved Message" feature.  I'm happy to write but didn't want to put in too much effort if there was either something alrady in the works or its not something you will likely publish. 

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

@Lizzie here is another post that might want to be promoted - https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/How-can-I-add-a-signature-including-the-link-to-my-listing/m-p...

Again cannot tag you in the thread as other Lizzie's come first. 

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Even if she wanted to, I doubt Lizzie could provide any answer's to Josh's questions. Lizzie is an employee of the company contracted by Airbnb to manage the CC, not an employee of Airbnb.  As a Community Manager, her role is solely to manage the people posting and ensure that posts meet the guidelines, nothing more.