Let's guess where "Airbnb Open 2016" will be held !

Answered!
Jack0
Level 5
Tokyo, Japan

Let's guess where "Airbnb Open 2016" will be held !

Information of "Airbnb Open 2016" is not yet open.

But I want to discuss where next Airbnb Open will be held with a lots of people.

2014: San Francisco (USA) [North America]

2015: Paris (France) [Europe] 5000+ people

2016: ????

What do you think?

I think it will be Asia so I pick up Seoul, Singapore or Tokyo.

1 Best Answer

They announced it today: the 2016 Open will be in Los Angeles!

Attendees of the Paris Open got a nice little stack of Metro tickets upon arrival, which suited all our transport needs quite well. I can't imagine how they're going to deal with that in LA, if hundreds or thousands of people book Airbnbs scattered all over the city but don't have cars to get them to and from the event. Maybe a huge deal with Uber?

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I think actually this has already been announced, since some people seem to know already.  I too had earlier guessed the next Open would be in Seoul (I thought Seoul or Sydney) but I believe that the 2016 Location will be in the USA again, in Los Angeles.  

since one of the emerging cities in airbnb community is Athens, Greece, with hundreds of new listings every month (we also have a high percentage of superhosts as well) combined with the severe economic crisis we are facing, i think that Athens would manage to attract much more than 5.000 guests from all over the world.

@Γιώργος0 I wish they had chose Athens! Maybe 2017? I would LOVE to visit Greece again. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

How about a #cruise #ship? If you take the AirbnbOpen registration fee plus accomodation plus public transport plus food at the extra days, you nearly reach a winter's discount rate on a cruise ship. No security issues. Great socializing. Touching several countries.

Ohhh cruise ships have their issues too!

main_1200.jpg

They announced it today: the 2016 Open will be in Los Angeles!

Attendees of the Paris Open got a nice little stack of Metro tickets upon arrival, which suited all our transport needs quite well. I can't imagine how they're going to deal with that in LA, if hundreds or thousands of people book Airbnbs scattered all over the city but don't have cars to get them to and from the event. Maybe a huge deal with Uber?

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I immediately thought that they should get Uber to sponsor the Airbnb Open (and then Airbnb to sponsor an Uber conference in return!).  I hope they get a good venue for it.  And could they take over the whole Getty Center for a Saturday afternoon perhaps?  

I understand the date itself is still under consideration.  Hope it is decided soon so we can sort out our diaries in good time.

I know it is a lot of effort but I do myself think a few regional conferences for Superhosts (or maybe for Category 10 Community Center contributors) might be a good idea as well.  

@Peter0 love the idea of smaller regional gatherings. It's always amazing to connect with other hosts. Hope this happens.

Maybe we'll meet in LA! I assume they'll have it on a weekend in mid November again?

Your place looks amazing! Definitely saving it to my wishlist. It's only a matter of time until the AO hits London!

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I suggested second or third week in Jan might work for AOLA in terms of quiet periods for hosts generally. Maybe Jan 18 in London?
Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Peter0 - I agree, January is dead as a dodo in the UK - and probably around the world too. i couldn't go to the paris open due to guest bookings throughout november. (although just as well as it turns out)

Of course I'd vote for Brighton as a good location - under 30 minutes from Gatwick via very regular trains, cheaper to fly into Gatwick than Heathrow, everything is walking distance or short bus ride if slightly further out, so no transport issues, several very large conference venues such as the Dome or Brighton Centre which would likely be available in Janaury and much cheaper. 100's of great restaurants, cafe's etc and simply loads to do. All Brighton hosts would welcome and accomadate other hosts. And of course it's less than an hour to Central London too.

Anyway, it's just a pipedream as it back to LA for 2016 - so I won't be attending.

Hey ho

Edreen0
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Auckland New Zealnd will be an amazing location November to February  (summer) for an airbnb open in about 2019. A new convention centre being built now. Quiet in northern hemisphere, perfect time to come south. Wed'sd love the big spend that woudl come with 5000 delegates. Yeeha.

LA is a massive city . I can only see a very sucessful Open if it is held on the West side of the city . In the Santa Monica area . 

While there is finally good transit options , a centralized location that enables attendees to quickly travel to the venue and be able not to be isolated in a location such as downtown LA ( Empty) after dark and not always the safest area . The Traffic issues in the city is also a nightmare for guests that want to use Uber !! There is the PDC , Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood , but I'm not sure if it has a large enough capacity to hold 6k or more . The Staples center and convention center downtown can handle large crowds , but its in a very isolated spot and you are trapped there , as the surrounding area is not a good or safe area . 

I saw the announcement, have you seen the dates yet? I am an early planner 🙂

I have suggested last year that a cruise ship would be a great alternative !