Just had a bad review from a guest who is a host.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Just had a bad review from a guest who is a host.

What a nightmare! Apparently he failed to read my home description and didn't take my warning into account when he booked to stay at my home. I sent him a message after he booked to stay at my place requesting him to read the house rules and home description so he would know what to expect. And here we are he's ranting about how we didn't offer services and amenities similar to a hotel. As an Airbnb host himself you would think he knew better than compare and contrast hotel to airbnb. Gave us a three stars just because we didn't offer things that he was looking for. Also, we bent over backwards to serve him at the home and giving him a discount for extended stay which we don't normally do or care for if guest wants to stay longer. We even let him stay 1 night at no charge and let him check out 10 hours after his check out time. He broke several house rules, using way too much toiletries and took things off another room without telling us. Brought guest home and let them go to his room without asking us. Wore shoes inside home after we finished cleaning the floor. That one was in the House rule. I guest you can never expect much from a host-guest. They can be just as bad as others. 

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Emma94

Ah, one of those !  Like the idea of living like a local, but not the reality of it.  Clearly in the "better suited to a hotel" category and he says so himself 🙂

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emma94

I hope you left a brief, honest and professional review of this guest?

Unfortunately, I didn't. My thing is unless it's really bad I don't write scathing review. I did rate him a generous 3 stars all across the board though. He did a lot of things that irked me personally like leaving the AC on all day when he was not in the room even though I had told him when he first checked in to turn off everything when he left the room. He was pretty cordial and made it seem like he understood me being a host himself. Mind you the weather is always hot here in Vietnam and I have a feeling my electric bill is gonna be sky high this month. Anyway, I think I'm going to have to reconsider my approach and not think 'if you have nothing good to say then don't say it' kind of thing. This person really ruined my perspective for any future host-guest that comes through here. I did write him a message letting him know how flaky he was and I didn't really appreciate that.