Is this a scam?

Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Is this a scam?

Just had an enquiry from a profile - new member, no info or verifications but a photo.

Message was brief but but sounded initially legit.

I responded thanking them for getting in touch, and just asking that they confirm they've read the full listing and offering to answer any questions.

She then messages back 

"I'm a little confused, because I've seen the same property, at a lower price, different host. Can you please let me know if it's yours? Here is the listing link 6airbnb.com/rooms/17998"

...What?! I clicked the link and it takes me to a site that looks like Airbnb but is unsecure, obviously starts with "6" and asks me to login .

I reply saying that the link isn't working, but that all the details would show up with her enquiry (price, dates etc) so don't know what's happened there. They then reply again asking me to log on to that link so I can see. I say no, and emphasise that either way I am the actual host with real listing and the prices etc are as they stand so they can consider it and  get back to me if they like. 

Sounds suss right? How do I report a potentially fraudulent account?

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's a scam - flag the person who has been corresponding with you

Thanks, the message is no longer in my inbox so I assume they've got rid of it!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Peyvand0@Gerry-And-Rashid0 are absolutely right...it's a scam to get your login information so the scammers can use your account to set up fake accounts and steal money from people.  The fact that they repeatedly requested that you go to that link is a huge red flag.  Wish all hosts were as smart as you!

Lizzie9
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

It is a scam - see some recourse below. Report the ad by locating the little Flag "Report" 

Send us the ad link, or if already removed, the property number, along with the direct email address they tried to entice you to contact. Send to vacationrentalscamvictims@yahoo.com and we will "scambait" them 

See Below from other posting.

Have you been a victim of a Phishing /Fake ad scam on AIRBNB?

Slap yourself on the wrist for working outside the AIRBNB messaging system and failing to heed clear warnings not to make direct contact nor wire or bank transfer monies. Your chances of getting your monies back are close to zero - BUT

Want to get some JUSTICE? -SCAMBAIT the creeps!

WHAT IS SCAMBAITING YOU MAY ASK?

“Scambaiting” is when you as a victim, send an Inquiry to the direct email you keep seeing these thieves post in the pics on the ad. You can make up an ID for “scambaiting” if you do not want to use your own ID by simply opening a new email account.

The scammers will send you payment details for the money laundering bank account they hold for you to deposit your hard earned vacations monies.

You then send on to us at vacationrentalscamvictims@yahoo.com along with a file showing your entire email thread with the scammers and the bank account details. We will vet the file to confirm it is a scam and shut their bank accounts down.

This will cut off their funds and stop any victims funds in transit.

Immediately AFTER Inquiring with these thieves be sure to FLAG and REPORT both the ad and the Host on the AIRBNB Site. Screen-print each step of the way [ALT/prt sc then Right click Past into a WORD file] along with copying and pasting all of your correspondence with the scammers. Email one complete file to us as soon as you get the bank account details. DO NOT SEND Monies. Just make excuses or delay.

Name your file as follows SB AIRBNB [or other travel website] Prop# 12345???

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!

Juliet8
Level 2
London, GB

I received the following message and followed the link which took me to my Airbnb page /account ready logged in.

I would like to book for 5 nights. I will travel to London single. I saw reports about your listing on airbnb forum. I don't understand why.

Here is the link, please check:
forum-search-london-6028.AlrHost.online

...does this mean that someone is duplicating my page on a fake website and does that mean my official bookings will go down? Can I do anything about this?

@Juliet8 yes, this is a scam.  What the scammer is trying to do is lure you to a different, phony,  website to satisfy your curiosity about the "other" listing.  They will ask you to login using your Airbnb login information.  If you do that, you are giving access to your Airbnb account which you don't want to do.  The link you provided is not an Airbnb link...it's bogus. 

Report this to Airbnb:   report.phishing@airbnb.com

If this came to you via an Inquiry, flag the message by using the flag icon next to it.  Airbnb will deal with this user.

Stay safe!  Clare

Sarah866
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

I unfortunately paid for a listing which was a scam, has any one had a similar experience and received their money back? I lost $2000