Is it OK to cancel a booking if a smoking tenant arrives and your house rules say non-smoking?

Is it OK to cancel a booking if a smoking tenant arrives and your house rules say non-smoking?

I am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and my house rules make it clear that my room is non-smoking. Even the smell of smoke on someones clothing can trigger an asthma attack.

I have had numerous guests over the last couple of years that turn up smelling of cigarette smoke and I have spent their entire stay gasping for air and repeatedly needinng my inhaler. All of them have been very nice people. I haven't wanted to ask them to leave and I can't afford to refund them their money unless I can find a replacement guest.

Generally I talk to them about it but this rarely makes a difference.

What do you think is the protocol inn this situation?

3 Replies 3
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Cassandra6,

Is the person smoking in your listing or does he/she just smell of smoke.  If they are breaking your house rules, it looks like Airbnb might be starting to stand up for hosts and allow them to cancel when a guest breaks their house rules. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/472/what-are-house-rules

If it is a smoker that just smells of smoke, I am afraid there is not much you could do.  I guess you could write in your listing description that you prefer to host only non-smokers due to your sensitivity to the smell of smoke.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks for your reply,

My house rules state:

--------------------------

******* Strictly no smoking, outdoor areas included, thanks *******
I am asthmatic and even the smell of smoke on your clothing may trigger an asthma attack. Electronic cigarettes are OK.

--------------------------

I'm happy for people to have electronic cigarettes. They don't bother my asthma and some of them smell quite nice.

I once had someone smoke in the outside doorway to my kitchen (directly below my bedroom) - I could actually see smoke in my bedroom! Other than that it has just been the smell on their clothing.

It looks like they will only let you cancel 3 times without penalty. This has happened to me numerous times (more than 3 times a year).

I don't think I can make it any clearer in my house rules!

@Cassandra6,

You can only cancel 3 times for Instant Book reservations and only if you feel uncomfortable with the guest.  I totally understand your problem here as my wife has a very sensitive nose and cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke.  You might need to be even more strict in your house rules if this can cause an asthma attack.  Something like, "Due to my severe sensitivity to cigarette smoke and its smell which can cause an asthma attack, we cannot accommodate smokers.  DO NOT book if you are a smoker". 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host