Is February a quiet month?

Janet112
Level 2
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom

Is February a quiet month?

HI there

I started hosting my large three bedroomed house in November and have had a very good two month long booking (Dec 8th - February 15th). I had a raft of enquiries when I first listed it but it has now gone quiet and I'm worried as I have to pay the overheads on the property. I've lowered the price right down. Can anyone in other cities tell me if this is a quiet month or as I right to be worried? I live in Manchester UK.

4 Replies 4

Hi @Janet112, Feb is generally a quient month because most guests have travelled during the Dec/Jan vacations. You can expect some Valentines' Day enquiries though 🙂

Jeet

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Janet112, it will be my first February hosting in my house, but yes, it does seem quiet. One of my rooms is okay because I have a long-term booking for most of the month as well as a short term one, but the other room, which has been fully booked since I listed it in November, still has lots of dates unbooked for Feb.

On the other hand, I had several requests/enquiries recently for bookings in June, July and as late as September/October.

I might still get some last minute bookings for Feb, but right now I'm readying myself to accept that I may well make a loss which should be covered by the busier months being fully booked. If you put aside any surplus you make in those months, it helps to ease any anxiety when it goes a bit quiet.

@Janet112 Hi there, this will be our first Feb since we just started hosting about 3 months ago. Not speaking of business travels, generally Feb is considered a low month/season. You'll hopefully offset the low bookings during this time with the peak season months. January was a surprise to us since one would expect things to slow down after all the holiday travels but we actually got a lot of bookings and actually all but a few days got booked. Feb is looking okay for us right now. I would say watch rates with some "similar" properties with yours and be competitively priced especially during the slow months. I've looked at 4 & 5 star hotels close to our condo and they too have much lower rates for Jan and Feb compared to Spring-Summer.

Vas-and-Rula0
Level 2
Nicosia, Cyprus

I feel Feb will be a low month for me too (Cyprus).  Im pretty much in the same situation as you.  New with all this and have realised a sharp drop in views and bookings.