I will like to sample opinions on how to consistently get 5 star reviews.

Ikenna0
Level 1
United States

I will like to sample opinions on how to consistently get 5 star reviews.

Our Family is extra nice to guests but some guests either forget to leave reviews and its affects our ratings or they score you as if they are doing a home inspection. I literally had a guest give me one star on the day after we did a bathroom makeover as we do every other week while the other guest in our home that day scored us 5 star.Guys I need help with this.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

I always call or text my incoming guest to sake their ETA. I find out their dietary limitations. I greet my guests when they arrive and offer my assistance where I can, and show them around the cottage and property. I establish that we will text as a

form of communication 

Also, I leave a complimentary breakfast of a home made quiche, juice and coffee and yogurt and granola, in their mini refrigerator. They have complete privacy and at the same time they know the can text me if they have any questions. Usually that is about where the best restaurants are!

Steve-And-JoAnn0
Level 2
North Kingstown, RI

I feel your pain. We have been hosting since April of this year and have gotten mostly 5 star reviews. We provide a lot of little things like others have suggested. A basket of snacks, bottled water, coffee, soaps, scented oils etc. Sometimes I think that we may doing to much...lol but most people seem to appreciate the personal touches that we enjoy giving and that they wont get at the local motel. 

But like yourself we do feel some frustration when somebody gives a lower star rating in some category with giving us any specifics in their review about what they didnt like that we could improve on.

In the end there is only so much that you can control.  You cant make everyone happy all of the time

Good Luck!

Nan0
Level 2
Occitanie, France

I have been a host for more than 5 years, a superhost for more than 2 years. I take my job seriously and take pride in the work. My tips for getting good reviews as follows:

1. Be sincere. Be present. Be empathetic. From the listing page (accuracy of photos, clarity of description) to the first message you send to respond to an inquiry (upbeat, personable, positive), pay attentiton to how you communicate. Learn to read people (some like lots of attention, others like to be left alone). Put love into it!

2. Cleanliness counts. Make a list of all the things to do for regular cleanings (e.g. change sheets, clean bathroom and kitchen, vacuum everywhere,etc), and a list of "special" cleaning things (deep-clean fridge, wash windows, launder curtains, etc). Special cleaning things are the things you'll do 3-4 times/year. Use your list as a checklist for yourself or your cleaner. Be organized and keep to a schedule. Use natural products, with essential oils, to keep things smelling fresh and good.

3. Be responsive. Answer messages as quickly as possible. Keep it simple. Try to anticipate guest needs (if they have a child, offer a few neighborhood ideas for playgrounds and activities, for example).

4. Go out of your way. Hospitality is all about giving of yourself. Leave a little welcome treat (ideas such as free subway pass, breakfast items on hand, a bar of local chocolate, etc).

Show your guests you really care about their happiness and comfort. I promise you will consistently get good reviews if you do this!  Of course, there are a few people you cannot please. Don't take it personally. Just keep doing your job well and WITH LOVE.