I have to post my first potentially negative review

Mary91
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I have to post my first potentially negative review

I recently reached Super Host status and all my interactions have been terrific. More recently, I had two back to back guest that weren't. I am not sure where to go from here and if to post a neg review for both or just one or not at all. 

I host a shared space and am almost always in the house after working hours. Last week, I had someone stay during a weekend that I was away. I didn't want him in my room so I pushed a full suitcase against the inside of the door, making it an effort to open. I returned when my guest had already checked out. My bedroom door was open wide enough for a person to pass through. Nothing was taken but I felt upset by this. After thinking it through, I thought maybe it was just human curiosity for him to open the door to see what was in there but I am still not sure if my things had been done through since the opening was large enough for him to pass through. My question is, do I mention this in the review? 

My second concern came from someone who stayed for several days while I was home. He had no reviews but provided references from others, which were stellar. He didn't shower before bed and his hygiene was visibly questionable. I had recaulked but it was dry and I did tell him he could shower that night. He ended up not pulling out the sofa bed, which was bothersome because it causes the cushions to sag but he also slept without a sheet under and used a white satin blanket to cover him. Sweat stains are hard to get out of it. Day 2, he pulled out the sofa, day 3 he slept on the couch, on the white blanket. Hygiene remained questionable the rest of his stay and I wasn't sure how to approach it. He'd take off his shoes and stink up the room with his smelly socks, his clothes smelled like smoke and made parts of the house smell like smoke, he rolled his own cigarettes and left pieces of tobacco scattered all over my counter top, he wadded up his wet clothes (after getting caught in the rain) and left them on the kitchen counter (I suggested putting them on the fire escape or shower to dry but you didn't do either). He apologized for not pulling out the sofa bed the second day and for the clothes, showing that he knew it was poor etiquette  but still did things that showed his lack of awareness or maybe lack of concern. He borrowed a pair of sunglasses without asking, which didn't really bother me so much but just added insult to injury. Then I came home on the last night, to find that my gas stove had been left on for 10 hours, while he was sightseeing. It had been on low, and a pan was on top of the flame. No fire damage, even to the pan but that was really scary. I did nicely make him aware of this but felt like his negligence could have caused me to lose everything, including my pet.  Where do I go from here? The stove was an accident but I feel like there were so many other components. Do I write a positive review and tell him privately? Do I notify AB&B? Do I post a neg review because he doesn't have enough self-awareness to not make his host feel comfortable?

Thoughts? Advice? 

4 Replies 4
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Mary91

Please don't skip the reviews, otherwise how are other hosts to be warned or know what to expect? 

He almost sounds as if he isn't used to living with creature comforts at all and somehow doesn't have much consideration for others in him.

"Guest is not well suited for the sharing economy of private accommodations as Airbnb. I did not feel comfortable with this guest in my home and would not host him again."

Please let hosts know about these two guests, especially the second one!!

@Andrea Do you that for both guests? 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Mary91

Are you asking me to write a similarly critical review for both both guests.

I can't make that decision. You had to host and put up with them, so decide if they were that bad.