How to report a very rude host?

Laura2100
Level 2
Bowmanville, Canada

How to report a very rude host?

Hello, I had a guest that book a 1 night stay for tonight Friday. I recieved a text message at 8pm last night that they booked our placed for Thursday and will be running a little later then expected arriving at 10 pm. I have not recieved a text from a guest before, but I immediatly messaged him back with a screen shot of the booking for Friday, not Thursday. He realized his mistake and cancelled the booking. He then proceeded to message me that he would like me to personally refund him? I have been booked solid every weekend and this weekend will not be booked now. I told him no. His tone and manors changed compleatly and became very rude over his text messaging. What should I do? block him personally, but what about other host that might have to deal with his behaviour. I have saved the messaged if a air b and b service attendant would like to message me. 

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Laura2100

You can report a guest (or a message) by clicking on the "flag" link.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura2100,

Nice to meet you.

I'm so sorry to hear this about your guest. Have you followed Emiel's suggestion? Perhaps this link might help you as it explains how you can flag a message. 

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura2100

To be honest, you would be better contacting  Airbnb directly rather than just flagging their profile. (we are a community of hosts and guests - not Airbnb )

Going forward please keep all communications on Airbnb messaging as Airbnb suggests, rather than taking it offline and texting the guest.

In this way there will be a record on Airbnb of any conversations with your guest.

Jamaya0
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

if he never stayed there then you should refund him for the night the services was never rendered 

@Jamaya0  No, that's not how it works- it was the guest's error that they didn't pay attention to what night they booked. The guest's reservation was for Sat night- the host would not have been able (or very unlikely) to rebook the cancelled night. It isn't the host's fault or responsibility that the guest got the dates wrong, so why should they suffer financially?

Airbnbs aren't hotels, where if a guest cancels, someone else is likely to walk in within a few minutes or hours and book the cancelled room.

Preparation, and dates blocking are a rendered services that is neglected by many guest..

@Jamaya0 wrote:

if he never stayed there then you should refund him for the night the services was never rendered 

Jeffrey Bong
Jamaya0
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

If I go to McDonald’s and purchase a burger from McDonald’s I made a mistake and purchased the wrong burger and ask for a refund I should be entitled to a refund because I did not consume the burger at the end of the day there was no service rendered 

so you are saying that I can book your place for a month came there and apologise that I only intended to stay for a night and get refund cause I did stay.. mean while you lost month of an opportune night that your place can get booking..? ?? my place only have one booking a day max.. not like a big mac that sells many and less over that has not been cooked can be sell tomorrow.. most people in airbnb only have a house.. different like hotel when they lost a room they only lost 2- 5 %occupancy that day instead of 100% occupancy on that day.. especially in longer term you might have to loose to discount or last minute pricing just to cover the lost income.. and the possibility of getting booking is surely has been reduce to lower probability..

Jeffrey Bong

@Jamaya0  I see you have zero reviews as a guest and perhaps just joined Airbnb? 

I can tell you that your understanding of how it should work isn't accceptable- you would obviously have no qualms about making a host responsible for your own inattention.

This attitude is exactly what hosts would consider entitled and self-centered and would make you an undesirable guest who would earn bad reviews.

I suggest you book hotel rooms rather than Airbnbs.

@Jamaya0 McDonalds is a multi-national, multi-billion dollar operation. They can afford to take a loss on a hamburger, which they wouldn't be doing anyway, because they'd just sell it to someone else within about a minute. Your analogy is flawed.

@Jamaya0 

That's total BS, the service rendered was the burger you ordered that was prepared for you and raw material used in its preparation.

So that means if you go to the doctor because you feel a little under the weather and he finds nothing medically wrong with you, you should not have to pay his fee.

In the case of the Airbnb you booked an apartment and duly reserved the dates in error and now your host is at a loss of potential income because of your error, put on your big boy pants and suck it up and be more careful next time

how about you changing your plans to accommodate your error as a novel suggestion.

Jamaya0
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

I will book hotels actually instead at least it doesn’t come at the risk of losing your money without any service that’s a very scary thought as a tenant! I’ll pass on air bnbs 

but it’s only right! If someone is not receiving a service at your business then there should be no charge period I don’t care who fault it is 

How would you feel if you had a job and you travelled from home to work, only to be told that you weren't needed. Had you known you'd have worked for somebody else.