How much do you do in the way of " housekeeping?" How often do you change the sheets during a week l

Bonnie81
Level 2
Biddeford, ME

How much do you do in the way of " housekeeping?" How often do you change the sheets during a week l

Do you clean the bathroom every day?  Or, simply change the towels each day? I presume you do not enter and tidy the bedroom?

16 Replies 16
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Most short term rental hosts provide towels and linens for up to a week and do not provide any daily cleaning. Some offer other options that have an additional fee.   

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your prompt answer to my question. This is very helpful!

Yours truly,

Bonnie

Amber121
Level 2
Portland, OR

I don't clean while the guest is booked in. They are given 4 bathtowels plus 3-4 hand towels/washcloths. If they need more they are encouraged to ask but no one ever does. My average stay is 2-4 days.

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question ... it is very helpful!

Yours sincerely,

Bonnie

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

One change per week, sometimes I provide extra towels when guests ask, and I do check common areas daily, whether I am staying in the place on weekdays or two independent bookers share the place at the weekends.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Dear Marzena,

Thank you for your helpful answer to my question!

Yours truly,

Bonnie

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I thoroughly clean the room, change the bed linens and put out fresh towels.  Once the guest enters the room I never enter it again until they leave.  If they are staying longer than 1 week, I offer them fresh sheets  and towels, or if they prefer they can wash their sheets and towels in my washer/dryer.  Shorter term guests can request extra towels anytime they  like, although they seldom do.  I clean the common areas daily (kitchen and 2 shared bathrooms), and often multipe times a day, especially the bathrooms. The hallways and living room are vacuumed and dusted every other day. I always walk around the house with a dust cloth in my pocket.  Basically I see cleaning as a full-time, never-ending task.  

Dear Michael,

Your guests must love staying at your pristine place, and the TLC you give your accomodation! Thank you for your answer to my question. It is very helpful.

Sincerely,

Bonnie

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Clean towels and sheets offered once a week (my minimum booking is 3 days, max 14). 2 bath towels, a hand towel and a washcloth. I offer to clean the guest room after a week, almost all my guests say it's not necessary. Most don't even accept the clean towels and sheets if they're only staying for 10 days. They say, "Oh, no, I'm fine, I haven't even used the 2nd bath towel yet". There's a broom and dustpan kept behind the bathroom door and I see most guests do sweep out their bathroom and bedroom every few days.

I do make an extra effort to keep the kitchen, which I share with my guests, cleaner than the times when I have the house to myself. (It's never dirty, I just try to make sure it's always sparkling clean when I have guests).

@Bonnie81  No one needs clean towels every day.

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your time in answering my question. We are former Inn Keepers and gave full housekeeping service every day ( made the bed, cleaned the bathroom, fresh towels daily) and I jusyt wanted to know what everyone else is doing. 

You were kind to respond so quickly. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Bonnie

Bonnie81
Level 2
Biddeford, ME

I am thrilled with the kindness and helpfulness of the Air BNB Community. Five hosts answered my question, and now I can go ahead informed!

Thank you Linda, Amber, Marzena, Michael, and Sarah. I feel as though we are all friends!

Warmly,

Bonnie

Hello @Bonnie81

I have a different target guest group than most ABB hosts - I host mostly long term (exchange student) guests in my private room/shared home listing. My guests stay anywhere from 1 to 4 months so I think I can offer a slightly different approach.

In my case, I provide bed sheet changes every 2~3 weeks (usually 2) but I tell guests they can ask for new sheets before the usual 2 week change if they need/want a sheet change for whatever reason. I keep a supply of towels (3 hand +2 bath) and extra rolls of TP in the guest bath cabinet and replenish once a week. Henry vaccums the common areas once or twice a week so he usually "airs" the room, shakes out the blanket, and does a quick vaccum of the guest bedroom floor and under the bed (without disturbing the guest's personal items). This is also when we check if the guest needs more kleenex in the room and empty the trash bins. We prefer to handle the laundry for towels and bed sheets, so guests are responsible for their personal laundry only (we allow 1 load per week to guests staying longer than 1 week). We keep an eye on the guest bathroom and scrub the corners maybe once a month to keep it hygienic, but guests are ultimately responsible for keeping the guest bedroom and bathroom tidy. There are also wet wipes, rags and a dust buster located in a corner of the common area that guests can use for basic clean up and most of our guests have been very respectful of our home 🙂

I've had a few people tell me that a 2 week cycle for bed sheet changes is way too long..... but it's the frequency I change my own sheets. I tend to shower in the evening before bed, and I do not sweat easily so I understand some people may need more frequent changes but considering most of my guests would have looked at shared room dormitories before deciding to book with me I couldn't help but think  "how many college age kids living in a 2~3 person dorm room  wash and change their sheets every week????" So IMHO, new sheets every 2 weeks seemed sufficient and I haven't had any complaints yet. And during the summer, I end up changing the sheets at day 12~13ish.

Hope this helps~!

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your answers to my questions. You are kind to stop in your busy life to so generously help me.

It appears that this community of hosts is populated by giving and kind - hearted folks.

I am thrilled to come aboard!

Yours sincerely,

Bonnie

Kris60
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

My last couple of guests stayed 10+ days and my next one is here 14 days. I have a laundry hamper in their room. I ask them if they want me to wash their linens, to please leave them in the hamper outside the door or I will strip the bed if they prefer,I try not to enter their bedroom without their permission. I offer to make the bed when linens are washed.  I put plenty of towels in the linen closet for them and I have never had them used up in their stay. I think most ppl,myself included, will use the same towel for a few days. Linens do not need to be changed every day thats for sure, unless the person is smelly or has some hygeine issues, which I have not encountered yet. The bathroom, I ask the guest if they would like me to clean it after a few days, and they have all said not necessary. Everyone I have hosted managed to leave their bathrm relatively clean, so far Ive been lucky, maybe its because of my ad and the guests I prefer.