How do you do it?

Margaret143
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

How do you do it?

I am hoping I could pick your brain. We are now starting the hosting journey with airbnb and I was wondering if you could offer any advice. The ads shows lovely homes and it appears most guests are happy and I would love this as well. Do you make up their rooms everyday how do they get fresh towels? Do you tidy up every day or as needed? What do you offer in the kitchen as staples?? I only ask as I work as an officer and work a 4 on 4 off pattern and don't think they want their beds made up when I get home at 515pm lol. I am hopeful you could offer any advice so I too can make my guests enjoy their stay

Thank you for anytime you can give
Margaret

3 Replies 3
Deborah194
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

Hey Margaret, just started in January and so far all my guests have been happy. I supply 16 towels for up to 10 guests. Do not offer maid service during stay. Have washer/dryer with laundry detergent available. I provide toothpaste, soap, shampoo, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. Most essentials you would have at home.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb is flexible so you can run your listing pretty much as you want within Airbnb's regulations.

You should clean your listing before your guests arrival and I would suggest communal area need to be tidied daily. You don't need to clean their rooms.

The consensus seems to be that guests are provided with clean towels (bath and hand as a minimum) every week.

You can offer use of kitchen and lounge or just room and bathroom - up to you.

The better facilities you have the more attractive you will be to your guests. Please don't worry about the glam listings on their ads, there is a huge variety from dorm room hostel style up to palatial villas with pools.

Have a look at what other hosts with similar properties include in your area. Also have a look at the community guides here and the New Host tips.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Margaret143  We run our listing much like we would if we were having friends stay in our guest room.  We're not a hotel, so we don't go in and tidy up or make their bed daily.  If I were staying at a friend's house, I wouldn't expect my friend to do this for me either.  We provide a few towels per person and essential toilettries in the bathroom (shampoo/conditioner, soap/body wash).  We don't offer any food - guests are responsible for bringing their own or eating out if they like.  We do offer free coffee and hot tea, but 9 times out of 10, our guests don't use this.  All of our guests have been happy by this and mostly use our room as a safe, clean place to sleep while they're out exploring or working during the day.