How do I handle a long term guest who wants to check out two weeks early

Andrea63
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

How do I handle a long term guest who wants to check out two weeks early

I currently have a guest staying with me who arrived on June 14 for a month. He is scheduled to check out July 15. He just texted to say he found a more permanent living situation that is available July 1. He asked if I could "work something out" with him.  The reservation was made and confirmed weeks ago. im a little annoyed because he hasn't been the most responsible guest. Also, I live in Philadelphia where the July 4 holiday is a big travel time for people visiting the city. His reservation, which was confirmed weeks before his arrival, had blocked any other guests from booking. How do I respond and am I obligated to refund him for two weeks if he leaves early? I have a moderate refund policy.  I feel Annoyed to lose  money on his booking and also for the lost opportunity to book the holiday weekend.

thanks 

andrea

6 Replies 6
Dan63
Level 2
Sparta, TN

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Andrea --

Fortunately for you, on the long term rental (30 days plus) guest must give you 30 days notice that they will cancel the lease in order to get a refund and the first month must be paid out in full.  So you have no worries that you will need to refund any money per Airbnb policy.  Do not promise the guest any money and stick to the long term policy with him and Airbnb if they ask do you want to refund - say no.

Linda

Vijay4
Level 2
Edison, NJ

Hi,

I appreciate this information on long term reservation protection for host. One quick question how do I have the dates available back on my cal

@Vijay4

You will not be able to get the dates back on your calendar - you will be paid for the full month, so the calendar stays blocked.  Only fair.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Andrea63

If you can get your guest to agree to amend the booking to the days he stayed, the vacant days would be opened in your calendar. You could then offer a refund/party refund for the days you are able to re-rent; perhaps less a fee for the extra work.

Thanks Anne. I want to work something with my guest. They sent request with new dates but it ends up taking away monthly discount for them and charges them more. It there a penalty to guest from Airbnb?