How best to list unit on Airbnb for 1 rental per 30-day period

Jim12
Level 2
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

How best to list unit on Airbnb for 1 rental per 30-day period

A beach condo I own will be vacated by a long-term renter April 1. I've had great success with Airbnb for another unit I own. But the new unit is in a complex where they allow only 1 renter per 30-day period. (The other is not.) I can rent the unit in the restricted area for as long as I wish - 1 night, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. - as long as only a single renter occupies the unit during the 30-day period. What is the best way to present a unit in such a situation on Airbnb, who only lists a nightly rate? Is it best to divide the amount I need to generate each month by 30 and list that as the nightly rate - and note that there is a 30-day minimum? However, I am open to renting for 1, 2, or 3 weeks but would need to charge more per night. How can I present that to potential renters so they know that is an option? What are others doing in this situation, which seems to be spreading throughout the state of Calif?

Thanks, Jim 

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jim12,

I have read your post four times and each time a read it, I seemed to get more confused.  I took a look at your listings and it looks like you listed your long term one correctly.  Maybe give your post a re-read and see if you understand it.  

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

It's a simple situation on other hosting sites, such as HomeAway who allow hosts to list weekly and monthly rates, but made complex by Airbnb, who only allow hosts to set nighly rates. Airbnb does allow hosts to offer discounts for weekly or monthly rentals. One approach would be to establish the nightly rate as appropriate for a one week stay, then offer a substantial discount for one month. Or is it better to do what I've done - set a low nightly rate, appropriate for a 30 day stay, then get tons of inquiries wanting to know if I would accept a two night stay at that rate. I'm hoping that others facing the same issue will share what they're doing.

Hi @Jim12,

But they cannot stay less than 30 days at your listing so why would you want to get inquiries about less than 30 days for that listing.

The discount use to be (and for some continues to be) where you set a monthly or weekly price.  Now, for most, you set a discount so that it takes all the dates in the range a guest chooses, adds them together and then applies the discount percentage.  I am assuming if you are renting your other listing monthly that you will not be offering a monthly discount.

I like the % route because I could have certain dates in the month which are much higher because of an event in town or other reasons.  The % discount alots for this where a monthly rate would not.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

They can stay less than 30 days. I just can't rent to more than one person per 30 day period. I can rent it for one night, one week, two weeks, etc. If someone rents it for a week, then I block out the remainder of the 30 day period and don't rent it to anyone else. I'll look at the discount route. My other unit rents most 2 - 5 days and stays booked much of the year - at least as often as we like. Thanks for you help.

Thanks @Jim12,

I completely understand now.  That must be hard to work with.

Dave

David