House Rules - getting it right from the start

Rhonda58
Level 4
Donegal, Ireland

House Rules - getting it right from the start

Hi everyone - 

I'm brand new to hosting on Air BnB.  For a number of years I've rented my house to friends with great results.  Last week I took the plunge to list my place on Air BnB.  

After reading through the various posts on the community forum, I've created a rather long house rules on my listing.  I don't want to scare people away, but the comments I've seen by my fellow hosts have made me wary.  It seems it's better to go a bit overboard rather than not be clear from the very beginning.  

I was wondering if someone would mind looking at my house rules to see if they seem appropriate?  Many thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18664935?s=51

7 Replies 7
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Rhonda58,  I think you did a great job! (and the location sounds amazing!)  One thing that I might add--if you want it--is a 'lights out' or no noise after some reasonable hour.  As for kitchen/laundry... how much do you want them doing?  I've read a TON of posts from hosts complaining about kitchen clean-up, etc. 

That's about all I saw.  I loved your, "This is our home; not a hotel" and "if you have any questions about the difference, please ask" (paraphrasing from memory).  I'm actually going to update mine.  I like the language you've used.

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54, Thanks so much for your suggestions!  I have included some of your suggestions into my house rules.  Great ideas!

I appreciate your taking the time to read through my house rules.  

Kind regards,

Rhonda

P.S.  The location is amazing.  Truly magical, even when it rains. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Rhonda58 good for you for considering rules before you need them!

there are those who believe that Please doesn't belong in rules (makes things seem optional or like a request rather than required), and those who just can't leave it out.

another style idea is that you could lump things into categories:

dog, cleanup, etc

rather than having them all listed separately.

My personal strategy for rules is that my House Rules list the things that I would kick someone out over or bill them in a damage claim for: over occupancy, not locking up, running electric/water inappropriately, not having a complete ABB profile, third party booking etc

I use the House Manual for more instructions type things: how to clean up, what is the checkout procedure, etc. These are the things that are my preferences and that if they didn't do them, I might review them poorly but it won't be the end of the world.

My Real Texas Barn listing has a fairly detailed rules list for reference (Better Business Barn, is only for smaller groups & requires prior previous good reviews so its rules are more streamlined)

Best of luck with your hosting!!

@Kelly149, many thanks for your feedback.  Great ideas!  I like where you're going with the separation between what is critical and what is more of a strong suggestion.

I'll take a look at your listing for reference.

Many thanks, again!

Rhonda

@Rhonda58, I agree with @Kelly149, in that some of the House Rules sound like they would be better located in the House Manual.

For example, these items might be better off in the Manual: 11, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.

I like the idea of saving the House Rules for things that can get you kicked out for violating.

The other things are guidelines, but wouldn't be cause for eviction.

@Matthew285, thanks so much for listing which ones should go into the house manual.  Very helpful!  I'll take a look at your listings for reference.

Many thanks, again!

Rhonda