Hosting manipulative guest

Paige7
Level 1
Brewster, MA

Hosting manipulative guest

Hi,

On my third booking a guest asked if early checkin was possible & that he would book if it was. I told him I would try to accomodate him,but could not promise until closer to the date. He booked anyway.  Check in is 4PM and he wanted 11AM. Mistake, he was constantly trying to get his way.  I reminded him of what normal check in time was and that I had a contractor coming  with a 9AM-12PM window. I told him I would let him know as soon as he could gain entry.  He tried to get codes early. I did not provide the code(felt super uncomfortable). He showed up early anyway.  When I stated I was feeling bullied. He was kind a hostile. Obnoxious, but he got away with it.

I contacted Airbnb but no response.  What could I have done differently? Cancelling him ? He was at the door & I am expecting review reflective of his personality.

4 Replies 4
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Paige7, Always remain polite, professional and don't fixate on reviews. Saying that you felt bullied do early on gets you both off to a bad start. Sometimes we need to find other ways to handle things for tha sake of remaining in control and professional. 

@Paige7Once he was at the premises you are faced with a choice of letting him in or not, sorry for the awkward moments. 

However, before it gets to that point there are measures such as declining with a concrete statement such as" I am sorry but there are other guests staying at the accommodation and they are having a late check-out. They will not exit until xx.pm. It will take 2 hours after this for the cleaning." You are welcome at any time after zz.pm. I will text you to confirm. access is available." This makes it clearer that the room will be in use and that there is no point in turning up early. Guests are inclined to imagine that the room is empty and ready if they can see a vacant day on the calendar. If you are not expecting a booking by the time you are in the 24 hour window prior to their arrival, then block the date online and this makes it clear the room is not available to other guest enquiries, including early arrivals.

You cannot stop them from showing up but you can control entry, and suggest they pop down the road for a cuppa while the trades are finishing up or the room is being made ready. 

Early and late checkin/outs will be regular requests. You will need to decide in advance how you will handle them and stay firm and friendly and calm. You can also agree to these requests and set a small extra charge for the convenience and as a part payment for the extra time they are occupying the room.

Avoid thinking with terms such as bullied and manipulative, they won't assist your frame of mind or attitude to your guests. The guest's role will always be to ask for things. Your hosting role is to decide what you are offering, and look for positive, creative ways to manage your offerings and set clear boundaries. Sometimes it takes time to find your way to do this, without feeling bothered.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Regards, Christine.

John212
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Paige......Read Christines response....again, and again,....and again.  It was a Perfect, insightful, beautifully written guide to hosting.   Well done Christine! 

Good day.  I am new to the community.  I have hosted both on Airbnb and through other hosting mechanisms.  

My place is a stand alone cottage with a self checked in and check out so guest arrival times do not inconvenience me.   I therefore do try to accommodate early check ins and late checkouts.  I simply block  the day before and the day after a reservation to allow for any maintenance, cleaning and contingencies that might arise with my place.   Many travelers are tired when they arrive and need to get settled.  Some have late departure flights and need the added convenience of a late checkout.  I use a key lock  self check in and guests are advised as to how to get to the house, what to expect upon arrival and when I will be there to meet them.  I make a point of making personal with guests either the day of or the next day of their arrival to ensure they have settled in comfortably.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would not go into lengthy explanations why, you have your check in time for a reason just stick with it.

David