Host guarantee paid 100% of claim for hot tub damage

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Host guarantee paid 100% of claim for hot tub damage

"I've processed your $1054 Host Guarantee payout which can be seen in your Transaction History."

17 Replies 17
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Wow, you are one of the lucky few! I read so many stories on this board about how host never get paid a dime for damages they claim.

@Ned-And-Laura0 I'm betting people are much more likely to post horror stories than success stories. In this case they paid 100% of claim in five days with no discussion. I wasn't expecting it!

Airbnb paid us $30 out of the security deposit for the cost of drycleaning a bedspread that a guest had soiled with a lot of greasy foundation makeup. We have clear rules about using makeup remover to protect our linens (we even provide makeup remover wipes).The guest ingnored our property rules and then refused to pay the extra cleaning cost. We kept all of our conversations with the guest documented in the Airbnb message thread, so the support team could clearly read it and we presented the cleaning bill. Airbnb supported us 100%. So it does happen. 🙂

Marcia

@Jim-and-Marcia0 (can't seem to tag you), that really surprises me. I've only ever claimed for a larger amount (see post below) but never thought of claiming for soiled linens or towels, even though guests frequently spoil these with make up and food and drink.

I do supply wash cloths and have now started supplying make up remover wipes too, but it doesn't seem to stop some guests from staining things. It happens so often though that I'm not sure I could put in a claim everytime. I have just put it down to wear and tear.

Well, if I can get a stain out without ruining the item, I would never think of making a claim. I can get most stains out.  I've seen some pretty bad ones. I've had to take a few badly stained washcloths/towels out of circulation over the years, which I didn't charge for.  Normal wear and tear is a different matter and we factor the cost of replacement/repair as an expense of doing business. This guest had makeup that permanently stained a washcloth because after seeing the stain,  she tried to clean it with the wrong product.  I didn't charge her for the washcloth because she told me about it and had made an effort to clean it (albeit the wrong way). However, damage to a high quality bedspread is a different matter and it is a more costly item. She also tried to hide it from me.  So it seemed appropriate that the guest should pay for the cost of professionally cleaning the bedspread. When I asked her to, she refused. That's when I enlisted the aid of Airbnb support. Accidents do happen. I've had a guest accidently break a wine glass and they left me a note with cash to cover the cost. That was thoughtful.  It's all about following the host's rules and accepting responsibility for damage one causes. Wish all guests were considerate.

Marcia

@Ned And Laura @Jim & Marcia @Lisa@Branka0 an Silvia

Ned and Laura, no.....don't be surprised! This is what happens in more than 85% of compensation cases....The resolution Centre are satisfied the claim is legitimate and are re-imbursing the injured party.

It's just that @Lisa  has been good enough to come back here and tell us of her successful outcome. Almost all the other successful cases don't come here and tell us, they just move on. At least once a week I have successful outcomes dealing with CX.

Today I had a future October guest message me to say that she thought Airbnb had charged her twice for the one reservation (because she did cancel and re-book the reservation dates) and what was even more annoying in $US which involved currency conversion fees....she was not happy. I of course did not have access to Airbnb's guest customer charging information, so, I got onto CX Ericka in a matter of seconds to ask her to contact the guest and explain..... and this is what transpired....

Ericka Support.png

This is what I always get....the service is outstanding. I am probably guilty in that I don't shout it from the rooftops every time things go right...but they just do!

All I can say is, don't be amazed when you see successful resolution centre dealings....there are many thousands a day, believe me , I know. 

Cheers......Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw this is great to hear, @Lisa723. It is a pitty your hot tub was damaged, but I'm really glad to hear you have this all sorted now and can make the repairs you need. 

Thank you so much, for sharing this here. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Lisa723 such a good news that a positive move from ABB, hope the payment came from the guests pocket also

@Marie21 I don't know whether it did or not, they don't provide any details of their discussion with the guest, if any.

@Marie21  In my only claim I know they made the guest pay because the guest sent a nasty text message about it. But AirBnB told them I would file a police report and press charges if they did not pay. I am guessing in @Lisa723's case since it was well documented that the guest had to cough up the cash in her case too. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I hate to ask, but how do you do $1k damage to a hot tub ? I have one, but don't include it in the Airbnb - just seems like it would attract the party crowd...

@Pete28 We're not sure how they did it (they denied doing it) but they broke off the skimmer over the drain-- not a removable part, and a safety requirement. Repair would have required pulling the tub out of its casing and fashioning a custom replacement part, as well as an hour of travel each way. (We actually replaced the tub instead, since the repair would have been so expensive.)

This is a vacation home and the hot tub is a coveted amenity, so we maintain it even though it's generally a pain in the *** at this location. We're clear on our no party rule and our neighbors have our phone number. Our local co-host is standing by to **bleep** any parties in the bud but she's never had to.

@Pete28 We're not sure how they did it (they denied doing it) but they broke off the skimmer over the drain-- not a removable part, and a safety requirement. Repair would have required pulling the tub out of its casing and fashioning a custom replacement part, as well as an hour of travel each way. (We actually replaced the tub instead, since the repair would have been so expensive.)

This is a vacation home and the hot tub is a coveted amenity, so we maintain it even though it's generally a pain in the *** at this location. We're clear on our no party rule and our neighbors have our phone number. Our local co-host is standing by to **bleep** any parties in the bud but she's never had to. (knock on wood)

Sorry this posted twice, the first post was reported to fail, but I guess it didn't... and I keep forgetting that Airbnb's censor bot thinks N I P is a dirty word.