Host Attention! This is the new trick some guests play with host for FREE living!!!!

Crystal40
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Host Attention! This is the new trick some guests play with host for FREE living!!!!

To all the host! This is the new trick that some guests play with the host for free living and cancellation without the payout.  I recently have very bad experience with the fussy guest and I would like to share this with all the hosts to keep my case in mind.

Regards to AIRBNB Terms and Conditions,  guest just need to complaint about Cleaning Concern as the excuse and took some unilateral pictures (such as the camera close focused to the dust under the bed and corners, unflushed toilet etc.) to ask Airbnb do the refund and cancellations.  At the same time, Airbnb will not show to the host about the photos they received from guests. (At least in my case the case manager refuse to do)  At this stage, Airbnb will cancle the reservation and guest will receive the full refund even they have checked in and lived at your place. Airbnb will stand by the guest side, and I felt in my case the host side completely been treated unfairly.

My story was the guest booked our individual level with two bedrooms for two, but the Check-in day just herself showed up and she was happy with the rooms.  After she lived at our place for one night, the second day night time, (approximately after 40 hours stay without leaving the house) I received the Email from Airbnb said she made the complaint about my place's cleaning issue.  we felt strange because we hired cleaning company did the pace and we went downstair and try to help.   At the first, the guest didn't mention the cleaning issues.  Instead, she said our hallway doesn't have a locker, and the garden door doesn't have the curtain because she prefers to walk without cloth.  Holly, who gonna walk naked through the living room to the botany???  I and my partner don't want any argument with her and we adviced the guest to get in touch with Airbnb for the cancellation and further help.  Just 40 hours stay at our home, the rubbish and guest's personal belonging are throw everywhere, we were very unhappy about how she treated our house.  She said we do not have the right to take the photos because she paid and rented the place.

After all of this, I called the Airbnb and waited for one hour for the case manager's call back.  She spoke with the guest first and wasn't friendly to me.  The case manager said she will refund her and the guest will move out next day in the morning.  She refuses to show me the documents and made the conclusion that this is the host's responsibility.  I was very disappointed and I insist show her the receipt from the cleaning company and require for the photos, the case manager still refuse to do it.  I sent her several time's emails but all the feedback was all about the fake words.

Please keep in mind everyone, It is really important to make the right decision accept the reservations.

I hope my story can give all of you some thoughts and be on the alert. 

52 Replies 52
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Crystal40

Just so you know you are not the first to post such an issue.

For people who know how to play the system it does seem an easy option.

David

I really have no idea what I supposed to do with this situation.

Nothing you can do.

David

@Crystal40

Not s nice thing to happen- and it’s pretty rare overall. I guess the only thing is trying to be there in check in and walk around the property with them - then next morning via the Airbnb platform ask them if everything is ok etc. 

I would also suggest the moment someone makes a complaint like that and you are sure it is groundless then I would ask them to immediately vacate the property as it’s clearly not suitable for them. Otherwise you could have guests spending a few (free) days looking for somewhere else- that’s not on in my view

Good luck

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

This exact thing happened to me, but fortunately my guest got none of her money back. She took pictures and said my place was cluttered, dusty and the heater sounded like a train going off and on. Of course the reviews before hers and after hers tell a different story. She waited until the night before her check out was due to send me the e-mail. Guests are tricky and sly and I find that its best to send them an e-mail immediately after checking in or the next day to ask how everything is going, just so you have a record that they had no complaints. If Airbnb was going to refund them the money I wouldn't offer my house that night. They would have to pack up their crap in the middle of the night and stay elsewhere.

How do you deal with the negative review then?  Just leave it or you will write the words back and protect yourself?

Ive just started hosting but I have an idea to stop a guest staying more than a day if they are complaining about anything

I will simply explain that to protect both them and me < would they sign a daily confirmation of satisfaction with the accomadation

and if they feel unable to do this on any givenday , surely a signed confirmation of satisfaction prior to this will stop air bnb from

refunding payment for those days

An honest guest should have no problem with this. I would not accept deductins from payment & continue to have a guest who made a complaint in MY home.  No Way

The trick is getting guests to agree to this. It would need to be in the list description or house rules. 

An honest guest will see that as completely unnecessary. I think a simple message right when they checkin to make sure all is well is less intrusive and adequate. 

If there is one negative review among many others, the good ones, typical reader will understand that the guest is lying, or grossly exaggerating, or is a whiner. 

@Crystal40

When you review them just say : nice guests but much more suited to a hotel environment. If they post a negative review, be brief and professional- get someone else to review your reply. You want them to be the bad guys, not you.

I had a similar issue and told airbnb that one bad review can RUIN my business.  They seem to value their guests more than their hosts.  I need to open a listing on VRBO since the bad review will ruin this season for us.  I am going to start booking on all the free listing sites, and hopefully some of them will work.

How did you do this.. You got the email to decline..? Offer less refund etc. I have guests who complained for unreasonable reasons. And not true comments... 

Berenice5
Level 1
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

This happened to me too. The 6 guests arrived in Cancun at a rate of 250 USD a night. slept in the building and then they walked out after leaving rubish and 6 dirty beds and bathrooms. I did not read my email as I was in London with a time diference and then the client said that the place was dirty and the sheets too. This place has cleaning staff every other day so this people know how to play the system to get free accomodation!!