Here's a really good reason not to post a photo of the front of your house

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Here's a really good reason not to post a photo of the front of your house

Thought other hosts might be interested in this that I happened onto a couple days ago. 

https://hackernoon.com/how-to-rob-an-airbnb-252e7e7eda44

6 Replies 6
Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Very interesting and rather worrying.  I remember reading a long time ago, back in the old NHF I think, that it was not a good idea to publish a photo of the front of your house because people could then just turn up at the front door asking to stay without a reservation.  If they knew the rough location the house would be fairly easily identifiable.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

They don't really need a photo; the photo just makes it easier to identify the house on sight. You can find out who lives where pretty easily.

@Sarah977  Yeah i have a picture from afar hinting the front side of the building, I deleted that picture so no guesing now LOL

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thanks @Sarah977. Sounds like a good plan for remote hosts...........but luckily as host, I live on site and don’t give that image away. However, those who want that sort of  info, will stop at very little to find it!

Chill-and-Relax0
Level 10
Ewa Beach, HI

You actually don't need an alogorithm or anything besides very basic skills of reading a map and using google; middle of the circle points exact geographical location of the property. Zoom in, take a closer look, maybe compare with google earth or other maps and you've got an address. If it's condo, high-riser or multifamily home it takes a bit more to figure out, but any single family home takes no more than 3-7 minutes.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Sarah

Thats why the photo of my house is concentrating on the flower display in the front

That's why I don’t have photos of all of the house, just the bedrooms

That’s why I don’t list the precise instructions on how to get there, unless they are lost and contact me an hour before arrival

Yes air bnb has the potential to be a burglars shopping catalogue.