Healthy Guests

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Healthy Guests

I have an idea/something I'd like to propose to Airbnb, but not sure who/where/how to reach out. I am happy with the way Airbnb handling the discrimination issues between hosts & guests and made an improvement with the policy. I was hoping if there is a way to also have an agreement/information regarding the health condition of hosts/guests.

Recently, I was hosting a guest who was really sick. She was sick since before she came here and she did not make the reservation days/weeks prior, so she was already sick. I felt really uncomfortable and needed to wipe down everything all the time. I feel that she should have communicated it to me before, so I'm aware. I definitely will let my guests know if I am currently sick. I think that this information should be disclosed if it is something contagious. I know that this won't be that easy as sometimes you get sick, that's just life, but I'd feel more comfortable if at least I know prior to check-in instead of opening the door and then the guests coughing constantly (and of course this will be different if the person get sick when they are already staying).

3 Replies 3
Kev0
Level 2
Arlington, VA

You could try putting it in your conditions.  I doubt it would be particularly enforceable though

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I don't think asking hosts to list their conditions would be a good idea, and I'm sure it woud be a violation of the HIPAA act.

Hi Mark, I know this is a tricky thing. And to make sure there is no misunderstanding, I don't mean listing stuff let's say I have asthma or something like that. It's more like very bad fever/flu/sore throat/things that actually can be communicated and contagious. But yes, again, it is just an idea and I was wondering if there is a better way to prevent this instead of having guests who clearly know that they are really sick showing up without saying anything.