Have you noticed the "Lowest Reviews" link on your listing? Is this new?

Karin36
Level 6
Richmond, Canada

Have you noticed the "Lowest Reviews" link on your listing? Is this new?

I don't think I ever noticed the three links to guest reviews on my listing/ad before.  Is this new?  Have guests always been able to click on my "lowest reviews"?  This format gives people the option to 1) read all my reviews, 2) read my highest reviews (178) and 3) read my lowest reviews (4).  Sure is frustrating to know the one or two unhappy guests we've had are now featured permentanly at the top of a list, given more prominence over the majority of  folks who loved our place.

12 Replies 12
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Doesn't look like this is an option on my profile.  Can you upload a screen shot where it shows this?

Sure I can, Cynthia and Chris.  Here is the screenshot.  Currently "all reviews" is highlighted but I could click on lowest or highest.
3 review options.png

Interesting!  Mine definitely doesn't have that yet - they must be doing some testing in a specific region or group of users.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Well spotted @Karin. I just did some snooping and it seems to only appear with listings that are not Super Hosts. You may also be interested to see my recent post showing that guests star ratings are now showing on the details page of the Ipad App. Seems AirBnb are fiddling again : (

UPDATE: I just checked further. I does show up on some Super Hosts. I am guessing its not fully rolled out yet. This is going to be like Trip Advisor where people go straight to the negative reviews

Sigh.  Thanks for looking into it further, David & Fiona.

It seems to only show up when you are logged in. See attached

abbreview.jpeg

It doesn't make a difference on mine.  Logged in or out, all 3 review categories are accessable.

Florencia0
Level 6
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm sorry to say this but I totally hate this new feature. Seems that you will never get rid of that bad review and it is SO unfair for hosts! Besides, it puts hosts a lot of extra pressure to never get a bad review or it will show up to every guest reading.

In my particular case, it will surely hurt my booking rate. It is just one girl, that was the worst guest I had. She left a review saying that the bed hurt her back. None of my others guests mention anything about the mattress but she does. So when someone looks my Lowest Review he will think that it will be impossible to sleep well in my bed. That review was from 2015 and I have even changed that mattress. I will have that review forever in my listing at the very top. It doesn't look fair to get a sticky bad review that was left several months/years ago that it is no longer representative of your place or your service.

Reviews need to be chronological and that's it. Your last reviews are the ones that better describe your place. If you change the order or highlighted some like Best and Worst, it has the same effect as if you were editing reviews. In the end, you are manipulating the perception of reviews by arranging their order so people will never get the proper sense of your listing. 

This isn't the first time Airbnb tries to change the review's order.   

Really good points, Florencia!  Things have changed in our physical space too since our *bad review.*  How do we go about making our concerns known to airbnb?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Another not quite chronological thing Airbnb does to the reviews is relegate even the newest reviews according to language.

Meaning that if you're on the English language version ( .com) you'll first see all those in English. Any review in another language is thus buried somewhere behind the English ones but is first on the French (.fr) site.

Even if it's the latest review as in the case of my last guest.

So that last super fantastic review - if it's written in any other language than English, even if you proudly added the translation in English - will not be visible, except for those countrymen or women looking at their language version.

In a slower booking period that'll also make it look as if you haven't had a new guest for a while, thus also giving a crooked impression.

However, this isn't always a bad thing, as in my case of a bit of a nit-picky guest witha foot injury (despite my clear description and pics of stairs, duhh), her review was happily in Portugese, so that one dodged me.

With most guests coming from other countries whose language isn't English anyway you could use that to your advantage with those of whom you assume might leave you a less than glowing review. Just suggest they are welcome to leave it in their native language  ;D

Everyone please send a suggestion requesthing this feature to be removed. Only then we can make an impact.

I added it to host voice. Hosts can vote there.