Guests stealing batteries

Shen0
Level 1
Denver, CO

Guests stealing batteries

Over the past few years, I have repeatedly had the batteries stolen from electronic devises in my condos.  The worst is the remote controls for the TVs.  People will literally take every battery from every remote!  Then the next guest sends me an angry message, and because I'm not local, it is difficult and expensive to deliver new ones.  Being that I don't feel it's my duty to provide unlimited batteries in a drawer for people to steal, I'm hoping someone may have a way to keep guests' sticky fingers away from my batteries.  Any thoughts?  I hate the thought of leaving a sign threatening to charge, so any alternatives would be greatly appreciated!

7 Replies 7
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

As a procedure as part of my change-over routine I test each of my remotes. I have never had batteries taken. If you really wanted to be assertive about it you could always change out your remotes for these: http://www.hotelremotecontrols.com/remote-control-specs/HRC-540-remote-control-battery-door-security...

Of course you could also note it in your review. Personally I think it would be impossible to prove and submitting a Resolution Center request for $1.00 would not be worth it. You could do some risk management by just buying cheap off-brand battaries. Amazon has them for about $0.37 each in packs of 20. https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-20-AA-Alkaline-Batteries/dp/B00005T3EH

Great ideas Scott, thank you!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow @Shen0 this is a new problem for hosts to deal with!  Never, I mean never, has this happened to me, soooo...  If this is an issue with your listing, how about having extra batteries available in a "secret location" should the next guest need them.  Increase your rate by a couple of dollars to cover the replacement.  Ultimately I am suggesting you consider this issue as part of your cost of business if this is such a frequent issue. 

Love the secret location idea!

I too love the secret location idea! I can just imagine staying in @Linda108's AirBnB and finding all of the little caches. 🙂 One thing I might stash in secret hiding place is a light bulb. I had a bulb burn out on a guest and had to go over to my AirBnB room to deliver a new one and the guest screwed it in herself, so it was a total waste of time. Now, I have a spare in the clothes closet, but I wonder If I could hide it in the base of lamp, so next time I can just message them that I am happy to replace it for them or if they prefer there is a spare inside the lamp base.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Put a little slip under the battery cover (inside) saying stealing is an offence. Guilt is a wonderful thing :  )

That is fantastic! I'm definitely doing that!