Guests complaints

Lois51
Level 1
Kaleden, Canada

Guests complaints

We host in the country and offer a 5th wheel trailer.  As most of our guests are from the city, sometimes we host guests with city expectations.  Recently we had a very challenging stay, for ourselves and for our guests.   When every guests arrives, i go over some of the differences with staying in a trailer.  Electrical current (can shut off if using hair dryers, electric kettle, fry pan etc) outdoor eating= mosquitos, wasps, yes even mice.  Water, we are on well water not city water.  Our dogs....friendly, roam free.....privacy fence provided around the trailer to keep the dogs from saying hi.   Although I review this with guests,  it doesnt seem to sink in, for a few days, perhaps they are excited, tired from the drive and dont pay attention?  The last group had water concerns, continually blew the breaker daily and wld shut off power.  Didnt like the insects out and about and also had a mouse in the trailer.  Which I wld be upset with as well, but recognize its a trailer in the country.  I quickly went down to the trailer and washed everything and apologised, filled in holes i thot perhaps they came in thru and put in a live trap.  None of the above seemed to make it better.   

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lois51Wow... some people just aren't realistic with their expectations. Mice in particular are just a way of life in the country. Not much you can do, except set traps and clean regularly. 

Maybe add some details in Guests Must Also Acknowledge or House Rules saying pretty much exactly what you've said here. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lois51  I am one of those people that would not have a clue about how to live in a trailer and yet might want to enjoy the beautiful countty 😛  Since you are a Super Host and have great reviews, you must be doing something right 😄  

For a guest like me, do you have a welcome letter or binder that a guest could refer to after you leave?  You are probably correct that guests might not take it all in at the beginning.

Thanks for the suggestions! I used to live in the city so I understand a bit when guests have expectations.   I think I just need to put a single page checklist in with facts and info and keep on with cleaning and upkeep.  I do have an info binder but they may overlook that.  I strive for a relaxing time for all guests.   I wrote the checklist today for all future guests and got the people here a gift card for their inconvenience.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lois51   Like you said, guests may be tired from their journey and not really paying attention to verbal explanations. @Linda108's suggestion of putting something in the trailer is a sound one- I'd be inclined to list the salient points briefly " Electrical system can't handle heavy usage without blowing the breaker. Hair dryers, electric fry pan, and kettle not to be used simultaneously". You don't need to mention in written form things like the dogs not be able to enter trailer surround, as that will become obvious

I'd write it up attractively, use some graphics on it like a photo of your property or anything eye-catching and colorful, really (people will notice pictures, if it's just text, they may overlook) and frame it and put on the trailer wall in a spot they can't miss. Sometimes guests will only thumb through a binder without paying too much attention to details.

Hi. I do have a welcome binder with lots of trailer facts and area info in the trailer.  I went one step further today and devised a one page Country trailer living info sheet.  I think as it’s one page I will just have guests read it and hopefully that will help a bit more.