Guest's privacy in homes where the host/hostess lives.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Guest's privacy in homes where the host/hostess lives.

Hello everyone, can someone tell me if there's a "rule" that says that a host/hostess can't enter a guests room to access their own items?  My understanding is that it is an invasion of the guest's privacy to do so (and I can see their point) but my problem is that I live there and sometimes need to get things from the room like clothes, shoes, tools, jewellery and linen.  I have done it (when they're not there) but feel that I probably shouldn't be.  Some guests seem to expect that the room is empty aside from the bed, particularly the wardrobe but this simply is not going to happen in my place as I just don't have the room to store things elsewhere.  What experience do other hosts have?

18 Replies 18
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Jeanette37 entering the guests room is invasion of privacy. If you need anything and you must take it you need to inform the guests. But I would suggest taking everything you think you might need before they arrive and give them the privacy that they will need.

Hi Ana, thanks for this and yes I suppose I just have to accept that I am invading their privacy. But as I've said I live there, sometimes need to access certain things and can't possibly predict over the time that they're there what I'm going to need.  The guest room is my main bedroom and has a lot of personal things in there that I just can't store elsewhere because of the space I lack.  I've offered this room simply because it has more space for the guest.  I would really love to change things around and have either fewer things in there or things that will really only benefit the guest but things essential to them are stored in there like linen so if they are staying a few days and want a (bed) linen changeover, it's right there so I need to go in and get it.  I would do that while they're there of course where possible.  I have a carport that I would kill to store things in but it's unsecured so I can't risk the theft that could happen.  I also lack a LOT of cupboard space so can't store linen anywhere but under the guest's bed.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jeanette37 At the very least, if you need to go into their room to get stuff, I think you should be setting the expectation in your listing that you keep a lot of personal effects in the room and you may need to access them.

I feel like it is an invasion of privacy to access the guest's space while they're staying. I host in my home, and I have personal effects that are in storage rooms that are only accessible through the space I rent. I only access those areas when I don't have a guest, or I let them know that I need to access the space in advance. However, I keep that to an absolute minimum. 

I think it's normal for guests to expect that the room is empty of personal effects, or that at a minimum, space in closests and drawers has been made available for their use.

Hi Alexandra.  Thanks for this.  Your response is a good sensible one based on what is realistic for me but also from a guest's point of view.  Of course I would expect maximum privacy at a place I stay but realise that If I'm staying in someone's home that may not be possible.  I wouldn't always expect a room to be empty but would certainly appreciate them letting me know if they need to get in there so I will take your suggestion on board and give them the "heads up" as I just can't see how I can avoid it.  I'd rather not give them the option of using the other room as to a degree the same thing would happen and they definitely wouldn't have ANY wardrobe space in there!  It's full to the brim!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jeanette37

It is not good form to walk into a paying guests space without approval Jeanette. If you state in your listing description that the space is subject to unanounced visitation and somebody chooses to book with you on that basis, you would probably be within your rights.

All you say in your description is that you are renting a shared property but you do not imply that the guests bedroom forms part of that shared space!

I think you should organise your things so that the need for you to enter that room when guests are there is bypassed!

I can appreciate it must be hard Jeanette having strangers in your personal space....it is something that I certainly could not do...there is garden space and a few locked doors between me and my guests, but if you are feeling comfortable with strangers inside your house then you have to accept that they are entitled to privacy! After all they could well leave something on display they would not want seen publicly!

If I can just make another comment Jeanette, on reading your reviews, that review of Rebecca does not reflect well on you Jeanette. It makes you look a very antagonistic host and not one that guests would want to stay with. 

I know, sometimes guests can be unreasonable but you at all times have to remain calm and under no circumstance get into verbal 'fisticuffs' with the guest the way you did.

A poor review, if you let it go, will slip into obscurity quickly but, a review and a response like that one of yours will ensure that everyone who visits your profile will read that forever more and the opinion they form will not be a complimentary one of you!

You should remain calm and thank the guest for their feedback and just say something like..."Thanks a lot for your comments....even with 80 great reviews we hosts do sometimes need to be told when we don't measure up!". What a response like that do Jeanette, it will make the guest look the fool. Out of all those guests, they are the only one to complain!....They are like the soldier in the Anzac Day march....he is the only one in step!

Oh, and just one other thing....in case you were wondering Susan's  review said..."Clean and comfortable, convenient parking, close to the restaurant store, the landlord is kind", so you don't have to worry about 'defending yourself if there was any negative feedback'!! There wasn't!

Cheers......Rob

Hi Rob, thank you for your reply.  Yes, I should take your suggestion on board about letting the guests know that I may have to go into the room, even if I have to do it in the listing.  I'm sure most of them would be ok with this and yes there could be something in there that they don't want to have on display.  I wouldn't have thought about that.  I am going to do what I can about re-arranging things in the room but it's going to be hard as I just don't have storage space that's secure where I can put my things.

My (public) review for Rebecca was quite justified in my eyes as she just left nothing out and it was important that I set the record straight as her public one gave a bad impression.  She lied about a few things and they were somewhat horrible to me while they were there.  No-one deserves to have strips torn off them.

Btw I have had a couple of bad reviews similar to that from others.  They went to town too.  I had this one tell me I should fix my fence as a few of the rails are broken.

Re Susan's review, yes I had it interpreted so I did find out that she'd left a very kind one.  Needed the Airbnb support team for that!

@Jeanette37

I state multiple times in my listing description and house rules and other things to note that I may enter the guest room while the guest is out to open/close windows, change bedding, empty trash bins, vaccum floors/under the bed. We also provide a safe in the guest room (similar to a hotel room safe) for cash or valuables. We also make it a point not to disturb the guest's personal items AT ALL when we do enter the guest room. Especially when it's time to change bedding, we let the guest know in advance so they know not to leave personal items on the bed. 

I think you should absolutely let guests know in advance that you may have to enter the guest room to retrieve personal items that are kept in the guest room while they stay in that room. You should never hide this fact from guests and make sure guests are okay with you entering the guest room in their absence. 

Hello folks.  Thank you for this common sense reply, I will take it on board and certainly let them know verbally at least that I would like to do this.  Re opening windows in the room (for example), I would dearly like to do this as I like the room to be aired but feel that they may not appreciate it and in the colder weather, would leave the room cold to walk into!  I had one guest retract the vertical blinds all the way (the sun was out) while I was with him so I just had to grin and bear it and walk away!  He wasn't going to close them until he got back (late that night) so in the meantime everything in the room was on display to whoever walked past!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jeanette37

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency upon your guests.

You know they're coming. Get your stuff out beforehand.

That said, there may be exceptions, but do politely ask first and negogiate retrieval.

You can chance it without permission, IF you can do it discretely. (In today's world, the possibility of a nanny cam exists.)

Please note, I am assuming that you have short-term stays. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 have long-term stays and are above-board about entering. They cater more to students and single people. Older travelling couples may be more resistant to you entering their room.

@Jeanette37

Ask Airbnb to remove your response to Rebecca. It is a big turn-off to prospective guests.

You come off crazed and easy to offend. Not what you desire to publicize.

Also, avoid responding to PRIVATE feed-back. Why shine a light on problems, when the guest did not publish these problems? 

Took a look at the response mentioned  by @Paul154 Crazed and easy to offend is putting it really politely 🙂 I think it is the most ranty rant I've ever seen on ABB......very scary @Jeanette37

Hi Paul.  I can't get all my stuff out beforehand!  I simply lack the room to put all of these things.  We're talking many kilos in weight of clothing and some equipment which I just can't put elsewhere and would take forever to move (and then put back only to have to do it all again for the next person).  It would constitute a safety hazard and be untidy.  I will try to let them know that I may need to get stuff out of there so that I can do it guilt-free if they're not there.  Sometimes I get a matter of hours notice when I'm called into work so I don't have the time-friendly option of asking them before I go.  I have every intention of just getting what I need and get out of there.  I have one of my landline phone extensions in there too and sometimes if I need to use it because the other handset's battery has run flat (it's cordless) I have to retrieve it.  Although usually I get it out of there while I'm in the process of settling them in as I don't want them to be woken up if it rings in the night.  I may have to just take the whole thing and put it in another room so I can leave it on charge.  I've read and responded to Jessica and Henry's message.  They had a good sensible answer and I'll certainly take it on board.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I  think at the least you should alert guests when you need to go in and get something in advance, but I would never leave jewelry in a room that strangers had access to, and would remove as many similar personal items as possible from the guest space.  

Also, your response to "Rebecca" is a little over the top and will likely scare away some prospects.

Hi Mark.  Yes, this is the popular answer thanks.  I may have to remove my jewellery but I'm going to have to put it somewhere else and I don't have the room.  A safe would be nice for my valuable stuff but it's something I don't want to spend money on atm.  I only work part-time and need to be hosting to help with my income.