Guest checked in a day early, now only wants to pay $50

Josephine23
Level 1
Karratha, Australia

Guest checked in a day early, now only wants to pay $50

My current guest speaks only French so at first I thought it was just a communication problem. He and his partner were meant to be checking in today but instead they arrived yesterday and gained access through the keysafe. He now claims I knew he was arriving early and he had tried communicating with me via WhatsApp during the past week. I told him all correspondence is to go through Airbnb website and he complained it was easier using WhatsApp. I assumed when he asked about extra charges he was referring to carparking not that he was arriving early as I would have directed him straight to Airbnb for the changes. Now he says he will only give me $50 cash for the extra night and that it is all my fault and the apartment was emplty anyway. I have told him to vacate the apartment but I am afraid he will now damage my possessions. I dont know if I will be hosting again after this.

8 Replies 8
Jamie48
Level 1
Austin, TX

Well that sounds horrible! What a jerk-be sure to give your guest a bad review and I highly suggest you contact Airbnb customer support immediately. Hope everything works out!
Pia8
Level 4
Auckland, New Zealand

That's awful. I would contact Airbnb straight away and see if they can assist you. 

Cecilia74
Level 1
Naples, FL

Do not accept cash from him ... Go on his reservation and you can still modify his reservation ... Even though it is in progress ... Change the arrival date to the correct date ... All charges will be calculated automatically through AirBnB ... Call AirBnB and inform them of this instance ...

@Cecilia74 Great answer...took the words right out of my mouth....I mean my fingers on the keyboard lol - Aloha 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thank you Cecilia. I tried to backdate the reservation but it wouldn't allow me. I added an extra day on the end instead. Just waiting to hear back from ABB. Thank you all so much for your help.

Thank you to all. I spoke with ABB and they were FANTASTIC! They changed the reservation and he has paid, though he may not know it yet. I now wait to see if he vandalises.

My guest is from China and I assumed the one day early arrival is because of time zone issues.  I have asked through abb chat to have them change dates but it has not happened yet.  How did you get a hold of abb?  I can never find number or contact info for them?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Brenda53 use the search function at the top of this form - questions around contacting BNB have been asked and answered hundreds of times.