Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

Cate20
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, GB

Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

So I've been hosting for six months and since I adjusted my prices to include a small extra charge for an extra person, Ive had two bookings where the people invoved book a single adult but with full intention of bringing their partners. How can this awkward situation be avoided in the future? Is there any way that I can flag up that my room costs more for two people than for one?

Thanks

cate

19 Replies 19
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Each gest's itinerary clearly states the number of guests, @Cate20. If the number is higher than the reservation, you don't have to host... under the law.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cate20 Hi Cate, when a guest books, the number of guests is shown on the reservation confirmation. If you know an additional guest/s will possibly be coming, message the guest and say. 

"One of the great things about Airbnb is the protection scheme it offers for hosts and guests. However this protection scheme is only offered to registered guests and as such I can only accept  guests that Airbnb includes on the reservation confirmation. To do otherwise puts me in an untenable position and I am sure neither you or I would want to take that risk. Can I please ask you to amend your guest numbers so we can all sleep easy and enjoy the experience. Thanks for your cooperation"!

Cate, that statement in not techniocally correct but, it sounds plausible and accurate. I have used it a couple of times and it has got the required response.

Cheers.....Rob

Cate20
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, GB

Perfect thanks @Rob0 thats very helpful:)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cate20   Good luck with that Cate...incidentally my tag is  @Robin...but you got the meaning of what I was saying and that's the main thing.

The only name I don't answer to is 'Bob'....reminds me of shifty car salespersons!

All the best Cate....cheers......Rob

Cate20
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, GB

I know what you mean lol!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Cate20Consider making your price for the first two people, if you find it is the most common situation and not hurtful in other ways, that may eliminate a lot of hassles in the future.

Cate20
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, GB

HI there Fred. My double room is about 50/50 take up single/double occupancy,  which is why I have set the base price lower for a single booking.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Cate

If 50/50 perhaps best to make it for two and then that covers 100% of guests, and makes you more 50% of the time. 😉

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cate20  As @Fred13 has mentioned, it is common pricing for a single room, that can have 2 people, will be priced for 2 guests.  As your pricing is different than the norm, it would be good to call that out in your description.   Additionally, in the rules, add "only registered guests are allowed in the space".  

Good idea will do thanks for the heads up on that Linda.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I charge by the room so there is no benefit in someone booking for one but still happens.

Cost to me one or two is pretty similar, not worth the hassle charging extra.

David

ADDITIONAL GUESTS POLICY:

As my listings state, I make no exceptions to the extra person-extra fee rules. Charging an extra person fee is important for several reasons:

1. The fee serves to limit the number of occupants in a shared apt with only one bathroom to 3-4 max, because...

2. Other single guests, paying the same fee would be undeservedly inconvenienced.

3. More people in the apt means more work - towels, cleaning, etc., which needs to be paid for.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My listing default is for one person and a second incurs an extra charge (£10). Short of one guest (out of 350+) I haven't had any issues with people being snuck in. 

@Gordon0

You are on site, as I am.

I would expect it happens a lot for stand alone listings, partly because it is more normal to pay a single fee for the property.

David